Low-stress residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omnirom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm an M4 coming from a top-tier medical school and am looking for a change of pace in my life. What psychiatry programs have you heard/believe to be relaxed and low-stress? Thanks for everyone's help!

Members don't see this ad.

San Mateo and MCW. Both have very relaxed schedules, and both have paid-to-take-call systems.

As I understand, they're also fairly competitive, but if your stats are good, as an "M4 from a top-tier medical school", you should stand a pretty good chance.

Please of please god, don't let anyone mention our program!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Define low stress? Try OU Tulsa.

In terms of intensity of clinical training- Yale and Stanford (coming from friends who are residents at either place). The expectation, however, is that with the extra time, the resident pursues non-clinical interests within psychiatry. Yale, for example, has produced more department chairmen than any other training program.

USC Palmetto. Great opportunities and teaching with good hours (very few weekends w/ evening call ~1x/week from 5-10:30pm as a first year then less after that), friendly people, and located is a nice area with a low cost of living as long as you like the south.

No where in NYC. Just scratch all of them off the list.

No where in NYC. Just scratch all of them off the list.

Everywhere in Wyoming. They don't require any weekends, overnights or afternoons.

Reactions: 1 user