Low verbal reapp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arnee005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied last year with a 24P (10PS, 8BS, 6VR) , 3.63 BCPM, good EC's and only got an interview to my state university (no surprise) I knew my MCAT sucked, so I retook in August and got a 30 (13PS, 10BS, 7VR)....no interviews yet...I am really worried that i didnt raise my verbal score enough, even though I did improve the overall score....I feel that I applied to a wide array of schools....what do you think of my verbal score dilemma? How are they gonna look at that 7, esp with only a 6 last year? Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

I got 5 interviews last year with a 7, so you definitely still get them. The others schools however didn't invite me for an interview because of my verbal score. This year, I got a 9 on my verbal and have 6 interviews lined up and more coming. If I were you, I'd study for the MCAT verbal RIGHT NOW. Don't expect to get into any school with a 7 on any subject, especially in Verbal since that's the most important subject nowadays. I was lucky because that just happened to be my only major flaw, plus I received a 34Q so my overall MCAT score looked pretty sexy.

I applied last year with a 24P (10PS, 8BS, 6VR) , 3.63 BCPM, good EC's and only got an interview to my state university (no surprise) I knew my MCAT sucked, so I retook in August and got a 30 (13PS, 10BS, 7VR)....no interviews yet...I am really worried that i didnt raise my verbal score enough, even though I did improve the overall score....I feel that I applied to a wide array of schools....what do you think of my verbal score dilemma? How are they gonna look at that 7, esp with only a 6 last year? Thanks for your help
I disagree with the previous poster. 30 is the number ADCOMs want to see, and while they'll question the 7, if you're good in everything else (GPA, clinical experience, etc,) it shouldn't be much of a problem, especially if you applied to many places. I English your second language? If so, then that's also a valid reason.

Right now you're waiting, and that's the roughest part (until you interview, then that's the roughest part!). Just wait it out, have as good a time as you can, and relax.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will tell about my story it might help. I am an ESL now currently attending a US allo school and mcat verbal was a huge hurdle for me. the first time i took the mcat I received 29 (11b,12p,6v); i was pretty confident that I given my good gpa 3.84 in biochem at a top 30 school I should be okay at least at my state schools, but then I went to talk to my premed advisor and he was a real eye opener; he told me flat out that I will not get in anywhere with a 6 despite my ESL status, etc... medschools weed out such a large pool of applicants by looking for some flaw in your app and for me it was verbal. He asked me to retake it and try to bump it up to a 7 or 8 so then medschools can look at the improvement and be fine. I kicked my tail and studied for nothing but verbal and pulled it up to a 10 to my surprise. It was the hardest thing i'd ever had to do being ESL and so on. I had no problem getting into a US school when I applied. Bottomline is, your verbal will hurt you at most schools. If you've applied at a wide range of schools then you may be okay at 1 or 2 schools that will look past that but most will probably reject you outright with a 7. Your significant improvemtn on mcat will help you immensely but a 7 v might still keep you out. If you don't get in this cycle my advice would be to study like I did and i m sure you could bump it upto at least an 8 or so and i m sure you'll have no problem then. pm me if you want to know what I did to improve, if i could do it as an esl you can too.

Adcom members have to sift through hundereds and sometimes thousands of applications. They look for reasons not to give someone an interview. If you have an incredibly low verbal score paired with high BS/PS scores, you are easy to pigeonhole (sight unseen) as a poorly-rounded nerd who can't communicate with other people. For right or wrong this will snowball into doubt that you'll interact with patients well.

Raise that score up. ESL is no excuse.