Low verbal, what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorXYZ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDNers,

I've been lurking these boards, and I have reached the point where I could really use some help. I took the 6/16 MCAT and just got my scores back:

12/7/10 = 29N

I am well aware that this is not a competitive score at nearly any MD school, and even worse, this was the second time that I took the MCAT...the first time I got a lower score in every section compared to this time...

I am not really surprised by my breakdown, although I do admit I was hoping for each subsection to be about a point higher...didn't seem to catch a break.

But I'm not here to feel comfortable, I want some honest advice. I have my AMCAS in with the following stats:

cGPA = 3.66
sGPA = 3.8
Top 5 university
Publication and Amgen Scholar (so above average research)
Lots of good EC experiences that I won't name, but are probably above average.

At least to me, the MCAT, and specifically the VR, has been the hardest thing for me because everything else on my application is at or above average.

So, I am currently registered to take another MCAT on July 28th. I really feel like if I can improve my verbal score (which has to be feasible, considering my AAMC tests were almost always a 9) and I am confident enough to repeat my science section scores (and hopefully improve).

Here is my question: should I retake the MCAT on July 28th (only a little over a week) or should I just go ahead and apply? Do I even have a chance at any MD school?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your state school?

Ohio. I checked and saw Toledo, Wright state, Cincinnati, and Northeastern as being viable options. I was really hoping for Ohio State, but their MCATs tend to be higher. I am still going to apply, hoping the rest of my application might give me an interview.

I've actually decided not to retake and I think I'll just take my chances. Anyone have any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you have some viable in-state options, I agree it's reaonable to take your chances. Maybe also apply to to UIC and Rosalind Franklin (bottom tenth percentile for VS of 7 and decent OOS matriculation rate) and some schools that don't look at subscores, like Commonwealth in Pa and EVMS. And maybe also some schools that emphasize composite score more, like FIU and Oakland.

Since you have some viable in-state options, I agree it's reaonable to take your chances. Maybe also apply to to UIC and Rosalind Franklin (bottom tenth percentile for VS of 7 and decent OOS matriculation rate) and some schools that don't look at subscores, like Commonwealth in Pa and EVMS. And maybe also some schools that emphasize composite score more, like FIU and Oakland.

I'll put all those on my list. Thanks for your advice!

Thanks again. I have indeed been looking at each school's website and MSAR.

If anyone knows whether it would be worth it to apply to some schools with MCAT ranges that extend as low as 30 (given that I have a 29 and an appealing non-MCAT application), please let me know!

Thanks again for all help.