Low volume in residency...when to be afraid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachmoninov3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all the physicians with much more experience and to my fellow residents as well. I am trying to get a handle on "normal" versus "abnormal" as far as residencies go.

We're having really low volume. Low delivery rates, one intern only has 10 (including c/s) after two months. Is this a red flag? Or is everyone having problems with stuff like this 2/2 duty hour restrictions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello to all the physicians with much more experience and to my fellow residents as well. I am trying to get a handle on "normal" versus "abnormal" as far as residencies go.

We're having really low volume. Low delivery rates, one intern only has 10 (including c/s) after two months. Is this a red flag? Or is everyone having problems with stuff like this 2/2 duty hour restrictions?

I think 10 is quite low I had 25 deliveries in 2 weeks (very busy unapposed ob). We do 2 months first year and 1 month second year. My hours, well I still get called in at night. (prob shouldnt be?) Most cases I come in deliver within 45min and am out by an hour (good nurses). We need 20 deliveries and 10 continuity right? With only 10 in two months it may take you all 3 years to get those cont done?

Members don't see this ad :)

Talk to your upper levels and find out if they had problems getting their numbers and, if so, what they did about it.

Talk to your upper levels and find out if they had problems getting their numbers and, if so, what they did about it.

This low census is a new thing, in part 2/2 duty hours. On top of that a lot of the uppers say that they had more autonomy as interns than my class does. When I asked an upper she told me not to worry that far less competitive people have passed the ABFM from the program...you just have to read more. Well of course I'm reading, but if that was how I was going to learn, I might as well have stayed in medical school! There is nothing worse than being in the hospital reading b/c there's nothing to do. And yes, I am taking initiative, coming in early to pre-round, asking to cover both services when on call so the upper can sleep, teaching med students here and there, checking on my inpatients after clinic, scrubbing in when I can, etc.

To be fair, our PD is really trying to improve things for us as far as increasing OB (this is supposedly a strength of this program), working with internal medicine etc. I am aware that 3 months is not a lot of time to judge a program, and I will sit tight for at least a year and see if things improve. Worse case senario is I need to work a few more years or take an OB fellowship to feel comfortable practicing rurally.