Lower GPA, moderate hours, stronger leadership/extracirriculars

Started by wormie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wormie

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
22F, IS in Texas and Missouri, Second time applicant
I applied last cycle to TAMU, Mizzou, LSU, Auburn, and OKstate. I had an interview with Mizzou only.

I DEFINITELY have a better understanding of what is going on this cycle so I am casting a broader net and applying to schools that do not have as high of a GPA average. I am adding TTU, Kstate, ISU, LIU, Arizona, Midwestern, etc. All these hours are estimated by what I will have by the time I submit (planning on September 1st.) I took a 25 hour semester this year and got a 3.71 GPA which I am extremely proud of, and also bumped up my Last 45 hour GPA by 0.42 points.
**I wish I could apply to the island schools, but I will not have a LOR from a professor. This is something I will fix for any upcoming cycles I may need to apply!

Overall GPA: ~3.50
(Last year applied with 3.49)
Science Prerequisite GPA: ~3.42 ish
(Last year applied with 3.36)
Last 45 GPA: ~3.62
(Last year applied with ~3.20)
Iowa GPA: ~3.40 ish
(Did not apply last year)
GRE (Q/V/W): NA
Degree(s): BS in Animal Science


Veterinary Experience: ~1300 hours
  • Small Animal / Exotics in Peru during study abroad - 62 hours
  • Vet Assistant (95% small, 5% large/other)- 554 hours
    • (Last year applied with ~ 330 hours)
  • Small Animal Shadow/Volunteer Assistant - 360 hours
  • Equine Vet Tech Equine Hospital - 350 hours
    • (Completely new addition this application cycle)
Animal Experience: ~1500 hours
  • Animal caretaker at Collegiate Equine Facility - 840 hours
  • Humane Society Volunteer - ~250 hours
  • Dog Sitting - 430 hours
  • Volunteer at Wildlife Rehabilitation Center - 25 hours
  • Lab experience with large animals and laboratory animals through my degree (if you have advice on inputing this most efficiently, I would gladly take it!): still calculating hours
Research: ~75 hours
  • Pig Behavior Research under a PhD - 75 hours
Extracurriculars/Awards: thousands of hours
  • In college, multiple leadership positions, multiple clubs and service organizations, lots of human volunteer hours via church, daycares, mentoring, etc.,
  • In high school, student body president and other lower leadership roles, captain of 2 varsity teams, Fellowship of Christian Athletes leader, etc.
  • Awards for deans list, high school character athlete/sportsmanship awards, miscellaneous scholarships, the works

Non-Animal Employment: ~2400 hours
  • Waitress/cook - 1080 hours
  • Undercover for department of public safety - 672 hours
  • Daycare teacher - 648 hours
LORs:

1 PhD/DVM
1 DVM
1 old employer at Equine Facility


Essay Questions/Personal Statement: Being the lead tech on a HBC case the day after getting rejected from vet school, which ultimately resulted in euthanasia. Instead of making me question my passion, it reminded me that this is exactly what I was made to do. I got the honor of being there for someone during the worst hours of their life and got to help an animal in need.
 
Last edited:
I think your stats are pretty average. Average isn’t a bad thing! It means you’re competitive and right on track and have a decent shot but also possibly that it could go either way and a lot might depend on your essays, LORs, and the stats of your applicant cohort. I think you have a fair chance, but definitely worth keeping trying if it doesn’t work out.

Obviously I have no idea what you’ve written in your personal statement, but I’d advise you to make sure you answer the specific question(s) they ask. Talking about a specific case that had an impact on you is fine, but be sure the focus remains on what qualities you have that will make you successful and what you’ll contribute to the profession (or whatever the prompts are now) and doesn’t focus too much on the details of one specific event. It’s a balancing act.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Echoing above, as someone who has read your personal statement— These are pretty "average" stats, which is not a bad thing at all, but you need to make sure your essays are really stellar so you can stand out from the other average folks! Have lots of people read all of them. I agree Ohio State is a great option, and maybe Mississippi State too. Good luck!