Lower Tier pathology Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are some programs that may be considered the "lower tier" pathology residency programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the community based programs are lower tier. That does not mean that the training is in any way inferior. Usually the candidates that are die hard pathology candidates with great credentials will prefer university programs. With that being the case not all university programs are untouchable by candidates who are not as strong. Low board scores and no research will not be an issue with most community programs.

Check out the FREIDA website and just browse programs looking for number of applicants interviewed to number of position ratio. That should give you some idea which programs are competative.

IE Hopkins will be at the high end of this ratio.

hope this helps.

Try to do an elective at the program you want to attend.

Originally posted by Jeeves
Check out the FREIDA website and just browse programs looking for number of applicants interviewed to number of position ratio. That should give you some idea which programs are competative.

Where on FREIDA can you acess the ratio of applicants interviewed to the number of positions ratio?

If you click on a specific pathology program on FREIDA, it shows stats such as the number of interviews granted and the number of PGY-1 spots. Where on the FREIDA website does it mention the number of applicants per program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry,

I meant number of interviews granted. THis should give you at least some idea about the relative interest in the program. You can also call or email program coordinators or residency directors about specific questions. Also since you went to Ross. Find out what programs Ross students are being accepted to and email those residents. You can probably find out where residents have matched in previous years.

I know this is a really late reply to this thread, but oh well, I'm still trying to catch up.

I don't think that the number of interviews granted really has anything to do with the interest in the program. In fact, I would guess that the lower tier programs might be inclined to interview *more* applicants, since they know they'll probably be lower on people's rank lists.

Stormjen you have a long way to go before you get to my most recent post on the Twinkie effect and how it relates to grossing in numerous colon polyps!

I would agree with you, but I would add that some of the smaller programs don't necessarily get as many applicants, because the application process is a bit self-selective in that people tend to apply to similar programs. They select people for interviews who they think might be serious applicants as well as appropriate residents for their program.

Sometimes, small programs end up granting fewer interviews just because of this. There may be a few candidates out there who apply to residency programs via the shotgun approach and try to gain as many interviews as possible, program acceptability or appropriateness be damned, but most are a bit more selective.