Lower Tier University Spot

Started by deciding
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

deciding

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it possible to land a lower tier University (not that I know which those are of course) Radiology residency with boards at 227 plus some volunteer work, research and a pub? Would it be better to train at a lower tier University Radiology residency than at a community program? I do enjoy an academic environment, but I'm unsure what it is like at a community program.
 
It would be most useful to talk to your PD. However, according to mine, someone with your scores should at least be able to interview at a handful of low-mid tier university programs and quality community programs. Best shot being at your home institution, places where you rotated, place where you did the research.
 
If I am not interested in an academic position, does it matter in terms of job prospects, starting salaray, etc. where I do my residency, i.e., community-based vs. university? If I wanted to do a fellowship, in this case IR, can I still get one if I do a community-based residency? It seems that people are suggesting that community-based residencies typically take lower stat applicants.
 
If I am not interested in an academic position, does it matter in terms of job prospects, starting salaray, etc. where I do my residency, i.e., community-based vs. university? If I wanted to do a fellowship, in this case IR, can I still get one if I do a community-based residency? It seems that people are suggesting that community-based residencies typically take lower stat applicants.

For job prospects, I really don't think most private practices care about your pedigree. All other things being equal, I suppose the university-trained MD would get hired, but your colleagues, like patients, typically care about how well you fit in and how nice you are to work with.

The caveat is that a fellowship will make you more attractive in the job market, and I certainly would think you'd be more competitive for a fellowship coming from a university.

I seriously considered a community in my home city because it had a good reputation within the state and I was planning on practicing in that area. Plus, there are some small, but nice, perks of private hospitals. If I were uncertain about where I was going to settle down, then I'd go for the university program.