Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, all!
Quick question for the people who know more about money than I do. 🙂
For the 2015-2016 school year, the rates for student loans are expected to fall around 0.37%, as predicted by this article:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/maggiem...an-rates-set-to-drop-for-15-16-academic-year/
I'm about to be starting my second year of dental school. Last year, I only took out $25,000 of the $40,500 that I am being offered of the Federal Direct Loan. I plan to take out the same amount this year.
Since loan rates are being lowered, would it make any sense for me to take out the remaining 15k that I am being offered and use it to pay down some of the $25,000 from last year that is accruing interest at a higher rate? I know there may be an issue with the origination fee (I think it was 1.073% last year), but I'm not quite sure how to do the calculations to see if it is worth it in the end. If it makes any difference, I will have around 100k in loans when I graduate, and I hope to have them paid off within 3-5 years.
Thank you so much!
Quick question for the people who know more about money than I do. 🙂
For the 2015-2016 school year, the rates for student loans are expected to fall around 0.37%, as predicted by this article:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/maggiem...an-rates-set-to-drop-for-15-16-academic-year/
I'm about to be starting my second year of dental school. Last year, I only took out $25,000 of the $40,500 that I am being offered of the Federal Direct Loan. I plan to take out the same amount this year.
Since loan rates are being lowered, would it make any sense for me to take out the remaining 15k that I am being offered and use it to pay down some of the $25,000 from last year that is accruing interest at a higher rate? I know there may be an issue with the origination fee (I think it was 1.073% last year), but I'm not quite sure how to do the calculations to see if it is worth it in the end. If it makes any difference, I will have around 100k in loans when I graduate, and I hope to have them paid off within 3-5 years.
Thank you so much!