Lowest MCAT/GPA combo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rose122

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the lowest MCAT and/or GPA that you know of that has actually obtained an MD acceptance? Please include only first hand information or verifiable second party info such as a close friend or acquaintance. I say this just because there are so many rumors or stories but I wish to know only the realities. Also, I am well aware that these numbers only play a part in the admissions process (by my best estimate around 50-90% of your total file) and that ECs, Recs, etc. are also very important. I think it is important just to know the numbers for the people that are towards the bottom of the curve and have been told repeatedly by their overcompetative pre-med peers, advisors, professors, etc. that they will never be admitted.

Members don't see this ad.

don't vurry about it

i'm curious too. just to add to Rose122's comments, could you also include URM status (if known)?

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is that there are no numbers anyone can give you saying with this will get you in, and a .01 less won't. It just doens't exist. Sorry.

Originally posted by facted
The problem is that there are no numbers anyone can give you saying with this will get you in, and a .01 less won't. It just doens't exist. Sorry.

Not pertinent to my question.

i know of a non-URM female who was accepted to one of her state schools with a 26 or 27. her gpa is in the 3.9s though, and she has lots of other good stuff.

i also know of a male non-URM who has been accepted with an 8 in one section of his mcat. he too has a great application aside from that.

URM accepted with a 21-23 MCAT and a 2.9 GPA from MIT. I was shocked when I heard about it, but it's 100% true.

Originally posted by Rose122
Not pertinent to my question.

I really think that this IS pertinent to your quesition. You want these numbers to know what the lowest gpa/mcat can get you into medical school. The thing is, that there are always exceptions to the rule for everything, and this is no different. YOu might get someone on here to post that they got in with a 24/3.0 which could very well be true, but it would be foolish to tell your friend (or yourself), that you have a good chance with those #'s.

But carry on.

Originally posted by mlw03
i know of a non-URM female who was accepted to one of her state schools with a 26 or 27. her gpa is in the 3.9s though, and she has lots of other good stuff.

i also know of a male non-URM who has been accepted with an 8 in one section of his mcat. he too has a great application aside from that.

3.9+/27 is not a bad combo at all. I would expect this person to get into their state school in most states.

And an 8 on one section of the mcat isn't a huge deal. Think about it.....11/11/8 is a pretty common distribution for a 30. So is 12/10/8. If that was the only flaw in his app, I would also expect him to get in.

I've known someone with a 24/4.0 get in. I also knew someone with a 3.2/25.

Originally posted by meanderson

I've known someone with a 24/4.0 get in.

Ditto. I thought this fellow was going to get, at least, a 30 MCAT but got one point lower (referenced to a 24). . . but URM the fellow was.

My brother, white male, good EC's and LOR's
3.29 science
3.35 overall
31P

Originally posted by Jalby
URM accepted with a 21-23 MCAT and a 2.9 GPA from MIT. I was shocked when I heard about it, but it's 100% true.

Jalby i remember reading an article a user posted on another forum about that. The applicant was admitted to USC right?

I remember a few years ago an admissions officer at Duke med. school came to talk to us and said they accepted someone with a 2.8 and 36.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Tezzie
Jalby i remember reading an article a user posted on another forum about that. The applicant was admitted to USC right?

Yup. She actually has done well (as in I know she made it to the third or fourth year without failing out or anything like that) and she is going to end up being a family practice and working with migrant fam workers in central cali, so I guess she has accomplished the reason she was let in.

Okay, heres the thing. It doesn't really matter what you're numbers are. They only have to be above the cutoff criteria for the school to keep the computer from tossing your app in the trash without ever being looked at by a human being. If the numbers meet the cutoff, then you're AMCAS will be looked at. That is where you have the chance to shine with your other E.C.'s, etc. If the school likes the other stuff, you get a supplemental, then an interview then an invite.

I think when you apply is even more important than your GPA and MCAT. A 4.0/33 doesn't matter much in May of the admission year, but a 3.0 /25 with awesome E.C.'s will probably get a seat if they're in the initial pool of applicants as this shows motivation and determination, both important and desired characteristics of a med student.

Go to mdapplicants.com and look at some of the lower-tier med schools like Meharry. I found a 24/3.1.
It's kind of a sick game but strangely satisfying.

Originally posted by BoulderLABrat
My brother, white male, good EC's and LOR's
3.29 science
3.35 overall
31P

I must be your brother

White male
3.4Overall
2.9 BCPM
26 MCAT
Texas med school.

twaspatz,

What are the usual "cut offs" that you're talking about? Do schools ever post those kind of numbers?

thanks

i knew someone with a 3.9 GPA and 36 MCAT and got accepted.

non-urm
27M
3.5 overall
3.2 science
chicago school

Originally posted by g3pro

Dude, stop lying.

Originally posted by g3pro

I know somone with those stats (from cornell no less) who gave up after three years of applying with no acceptances. He's applying to pharmacy school right now, great guy we play Halo together. Just goes to show you that numbers can't really predict anything by themselves.

Originally posted by facted
Dude, stop lying.

* edited by DrMom for excessive and strong sexual vulgarity and extremely offensive diatribe *

:laugh:

;)

rgporter I really hope you are kidding around. what kind of person couldn't get accepted with those kind of stats? maybe someone with a racial comment tatooed to their forehead.

Maybe he wore a dress to all of his interviews.

Originally posted by fullefect1
rgporter I really hope you are kidding around. what kind of person couldn't get accepted with those kind of stats? maybe someone with a racial comment tatooed to their forehead.

No I'm not kidding. And he is a great guy, I really like him. My personal belief is that must have had a really bad personal statement because he didn't even get many interviews. That and half the schools he applied to are in cali.
Beware of appearing arrogant, it will kill your app.

I know someone who got in with a 2.1GPA and a 21MCAT score NO joke......... it was to Saba though

2 years ago
non URM
3.9 GPA
22 MCAT
Texas State Med School

a few of years from now. this cat down at SABA will probably have Step 1 & 2 scores >250, and noone anywhere will ever care what his undergrad GPA or MCAT was. (well, probably not) of course he'll/she'll still be an IMG (and have to deal with that), but my point is he'll/she'll be a doctor just like today's 3.9 / 35R.

k

Wow, I was going to add, did he write his personal statement in pencil without re-reading, not fulfilled all pre-reqs, or have convictions on his record?

They use a 5 point scale for GPA, too, so I hope this was after adjusting for an AMCAS GPA....URM's get into schools like MIT with lower GPAs and SATs than non-URMs, so this should not surprise anyone regarding medical schools.

I know a URM who got into Columbia P&S with a 23 MCAT. 23!!!!! And from a state school... that's just sad, I think. Her GPA was pretty good, but really...

This combo is amazing..

this happens every year to a small number of folks. you think just because you have good numbers you should automatically get an acceptance to med school? uhh no.

there are other factors...thankfully.

Wow that's crazy that some of these people got accepted with like 2.9's.

Here at USF, the only people I've ever known to get accepted was the older sister of a friend. This sister of my friend had a 3.9 gpa in biochemistry, nominated for biochm awards, and a 27 on her MCAT. She's now at UF medical school almost finishing up. Her sister who I know, has a 3.7 and 32 on her mcat.

My other friend that just got accepted into Miami is an older applicant with a RN, Spanish degree and communications minor, with a 3.9 postbac GPA and 24 on her MCAT.

These are the only 2 MD acceptances I know.

The other 2 acceptances I know are to DO schools.

I heard of someone getting in to Albany med school with a 5 in verbal (but don't know rest of stats sorry....).

I just wanted to say that I know people of all wakes of life whom have gotten into medical school.

One person as I said before in this thread and the acceptance thread had a 3.9 and 24 MCA T .

The other as I pointed out is going to Harvard next year with a 39 MCAT and 3.9-4.0 GPA.

Someone whom will finish med school next year, had a 3.9 GPA undergrad and 27 MCAT and went to UF. Her sister as I pointed out earlier has a 3.7 and 32 MCAT

Yet others I know whom have gone the DO route had a 2.5 GPA and 10 F's on her MCAT, back in her day. However, years later she came back and now she has a 3.8 GPA and is going to DO school next year.

Someone else I know had a high GPA, don't know exact numbers. However, she only had a 27 MCAT and got into LECOM bradenton. She only applied to DO schools, as she always knew she didn't want to go the DO route.

My cousin, 26 MCAT, 3.9, in a 3 state schools.

To the post right above me:

Well the thing is you have to remember that the MCAT is very different in its testing format and is also a test of endurance.

It is a very verbally based test which requires students to not just know material, but to be able to apply it to the passage in the context it is given in the passage and then to do this in the limited time span.

I have known people who had good GPA's but their MCAT's were bad because they were not used to passage style tests.