• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

Oilersfan69

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
For the ppl who are in optometry or have gotten accepted: what are some of your lowest pre-req marks? I'm really scared about my physics mark right now and my class is really competitive and i frankly am not good in physics... The rest of my pre-req gpa is 3.7.... I can maintain that if i get a B- in physics.... So what has been some of your lowest marks in ur pre-reqs even though you still got in?

GGelato9

10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
B- isnt so bad! at all!

I got C's all throughout calculus...3 quarters...ugh. But that was my freshman year so I think they cut me some slack for that. It did come up in a couple interviews though.

I also got a C+ in one chemistry class, but I guess after that my GPA really picked up so maybe that offset it.

good luck! =)

pienfoo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
i have a 3.999999 and a 450 on the OAT. i am afraid that i won't get in anywhere. ahh boo.

people in this forum have repeatedly stated that they got C, and C- in g/o chem, physics, and whatever else subject. so no worries.

About the Ads

Oilersfan69

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
so i basically failed my physics midterm... the thing is its my 2nd physics class of the two required and im takin it in my 4th year.. i took the first course in my 2nd year and got B- and with that i couldnt do medicine anymore.. now i want to go into optometry... so i had to take another course... Since im takin this physics course in my 4th year and prolly will get C or something.. what do u guys think the admissions committee will think? I have B's in micro, and 1 english course.. but rest of my pre-reqs are A- and higher... its just this physics course is putting so much doubt into my future... and the fact that its in my 4th year and not my 2nd means that it wasnt somethin that happened in the past and i improved my gpa later u know? anyone face the same situation? i know u guys think that its no big deal b/c my pre-req gpa is good but for me its still a major concern b/c u just never know.. im so bummed out right now...

theavrock

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
You'll be fine. If the rest of your pre-req GPA's are a 3.7 and you score well on the OAT you should be fine. Now if you get a C this semester and then bomb the physics section on the OAT that might be a different story.

luckyfool

SUNY Opt
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2006
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
so i basically failed my physics midterm... the thing is its my 2nd physics class of the two required and im takin it in my 4th year.. i took the first course in my 2nd year and got B- and with that i couldnt do medicine anymore.. now i want to go into optometry... so i had to take another course... Since im takin this physics course in my 4th year and prolly will get C or something.. what do u guys think the admissions committee will think? I have B's in micro, and 1 english course.. but rest of my pre-reqs are A- and higher... its just this physics course is putting so much doubt into my future... and the fact that its in my 4th year and not my 2nd means that it wasnt somethin that happened in the past and i improved my gpa later u know? anyone face the same situation? i know u guys think that its no big deal b/c my pre-req gpa is good but for me its still a major concern b/c u just never know.. im so bummed out right now...

Your biggest worry isn't your grade, but it is the pursue of optometry as your failsafe plan. Make sure you let the admission committee know about that :rolleyes:

JMU07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2006
VA
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
Yeah, I was wondering what you're going to tell the interviewers when you go, having optometry as a backup plan isn't really the smartest thing to tell them.

PS, a lot of us have GPA's that are a lot lower than you, I understand that you may be worried but you're bringing down the other students who actually do want to go to OD school but don't have the best grades.

Oilersfan69

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
sorry guys its just being up here in Canada and all my friends are pre-med and its so competitive its just hard.. im sorry if i hurt anyone by my comments but we're all in this together.. my physics mark wont be pretty... plus i know that im not gonna tell them that optometry was my fall back plan... my future career always fluctuated and after i got that bad mark i looked into other areas i guess... What do u guys think i should tell them? Cuz i also waited till my 4th year to take the physics course b/c my friends who are now in 2nd year could give him help as well.. its just that they are so damn smart that it brings me down when i cant compete with them... and then i come on here all worried... i dunno its just u never know when ur a prospective student so u want the best advice from students who are already in and what they've experienced.. my pre-req grades may be good but my physics is crap and ive just stated that flat out

O.D.-2-B

10+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
Clarenville Newfoundland
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
Listen dude,

If you have a 3.7 you'll be fine....just get at least a C in physics and CHILL OUT!....Im guessing you live in Edmonton...go outside take in a breath of that good Canadian air and apply already...you will get an interview...prolly not a waterloo, but you will get them elsewhere. You should go to SCCO...seeing as you're an "oiler's fan"...we have Chris Pronger now...and we're awesome haha

fonziefonz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2006
Listen dude,

If you have a 3.7 you'll be fine....just get at least a C in physics and CHILL OUT!....Im guessing you live in Edmonton...go outside take in a breath of that good Canadian air and apply already...you will get an interview...prolly not a waterloo, but you will get them elsewhere. You should go to SCCO...seeing as you're an "oiler's fan"...we have Chris Pronger now...and we're awesome haha

Haha, GO DUCKS GO!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.