lowest ranked residencies in california and florida

Started by adoggie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

adoggie

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I am intending to graduate from the John A. Burns School of Medicine in Hawaii, and would like to do a residency in neurology. Since there are none in Hawaii, I would have to go to the continental US - I don't want to live where it snows, so I am looking at California and Florida. What are the lowest ranked, easiest to get into schools in those two states? One that comes to mind is Loma Linda in California.
 
Hi, I am intending to graduate from the John A. Burns School of Medicine in Hawaii, and would like to do a residency in neurology. Since there are none in Hawaii, I would have to go to the continental US - I don't want to live where it snows, so I am looking at California and Florida. What are the lowest ranked, easiest to get into schools in those two states? One that comes to mind is Loma Linda in California.

"Lowest ranked"? Why sell yourself short? There are plenty of great-to-decent programs in warm climates (don't just think Cali and Fla -- there's Barrow and Mayo in AZ, Emory in Atlanta, Baylor in Houston, UAB in Alabama, etc). As a US grad (even from HI!) you should be a serious candidate at some of those. Unless you know something about your grades and board scores that we don't.
 
OP, what do you mean by "I am intending to graduate from the John A. Burns School of Medicine in Hawaii?" If you're not in med school yet, I would suggest that you don't bother worrying about this stuff for a few years yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, one step at a time. Graduate from college, get into a med school, get experience in different specialties, and THEN think about this stuff.
 
"Lowest ranked"? Why sell yourself short? There are plenty of great-to-decent programs in warm climates (don't just think Cali and Fla -- there's Barrow and Mayo in AZ, Emory in Atlanta, Baylor in Houston, UAB in Alabama, etc). As a US grad (even from HI!) you should be a serious candidate at some of those. Unless you know something about your grades and board scores that we don't.

Thanks for the response! Baylor and Mayo are definitely among the toughest to get into, from what I understand. By the way, how is life in Alabama? I've never been there, nor have I ever met anyone from Alabama.