Lowest STEP Score with a shot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WilburSK

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title says it all. I am in the low 230's. I know other colleagues that are in the 220's. How low can you go and still have a shot?

Members don't see this ad.

The title says it all. I am in the low 230's. I know other colleagues that are in the 220's. How low can you go and still have a shot?

This is pointless

Obviously there is so much more to the equation than a STEP1 score. People often match with scores in the 220s and 230s. I don't know anybody personally but I can guarantee people have matched with scores in the 200s and 210s (these people don't tend to share their scores) with other shining qualities.

It's all about the overall package. I can tell you that with a low 230s, I managed to get 35+ interview invitations. I have friends who had scores in the 220s and still interviewed at places like MEEI, Iowa, Duke, Wisconsin and other highly regarded programs so take that for what it's worth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously there is so much more to the equation than a STEP1 score. People often match with scores in the 220s and 230s. I don't know anybody personally but I can guarantee people have matched with scores in the 200s and 210s (these people don't tend to share their scores) with other shining qualities.

It's all about the overall package. I can tell you that with a low 230s, I managed to get 35+ interview invitations. I have friends who had scores in the 220s and still interviewed at places like MEEI, Iowa, Duke, Wisconsin and other highly regarded programs so take that for what it's worth.

I'm sorry for my earlier reply...I just sometimes feel like it doesn't always help to worry about what everyone else is doing. The lowest score possible doesn't really apply to the OP. I will say wakeringer's post is spot on.

I will add that even thought people match with scores under 220 there are huge barriers to this match. You and your application will have to shine above and beyond in nearly all other aspects of your application.

I'm all for "you can do anything you set your mind to", but when you apply with lower scores you often need to be your own motivator and be comfortable with being very different from the pack. It can be hard to exude confidence when you feel like you haven't done everything right and you know that you're up against so many amazing applicants with no deficits in any part of their application. Just something to consider when applying with scores on the very left side of the curve.

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses! I can understand the silliness of a post like mine. However, with the unmatched applicant STEP score average at 226, it makes one with a low 230s score nervous.

it would be nice if the SF match would indicate SD and SEM so that we had a sense for how much flexibility there is on the low margin

WilburSK, don't take this the wrong way, but your question has been answered in at least 4 different iterations over the past 4 years, in threads with multiple posts. So you probably won't get a lot of replies since these conversations have been already had. But just so you don't think I'm givin you a hard time, SF match doesn't supply SD and SEM, but this article does. Yousef and al. "Ophthalmology Residency Match Outcomes". 2011
http://www.stonybrookmedicalcenter.org/system/files/Match 2012 Yousuf et al.pdf

And this article has also been cited on this site numerous times...

Reactions: 1 user