LSU-NO Externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocksilky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've read posts on this site for a while and finally feel like I should post myself (thanks for everyone who makes this site great by the way). I recently found myself interested in OMFS and after speaking with a resident at my program and reading on these forums I found out that doing an externship would really help me decide if OMFS was for me or not and if so, a good way for me to start building a resume. I mention all this to say that I recently found out that I got accepted as an extern at LSU-NO this coming July! It's for 2 weeks (they said they have so many already that the whole month wouldn't be possible) and I'm really excited about it. However, I am only a second year student and thus won't have the normal amount of clinical experience that most externs would have when I show up there. Can anyone who has been here (or just externed lately) just give me a heads up on some things that I could do to be better prepared for my time at LSU? Anything to brush up on, read, buy, etc. I really want to make a good impression and learn a lot at the same time but all I feel like I can do at this point is work hard and try to mesh with the team as best as possible? Is this normal or am I just freaking out? Thanks for any advice yall can give

Members don't see this ad.

When I was preparing for my externship at LSU:NO, I had literally no clinical experience (I just finished my first year)m so here's a couple things I would recommend doing. Get the Ellis/Hupp text and read over that, especially the sections on exodontia and local anesthesia if you don't have any eperience in that realm (I didn't). OMFS secrets was another book I used to prepare.

Also make sure you're pretty up front with the residents that you don't have any experience. They will probably still throw you in the deep end (That's why you're going to LSU anyway, right?) but they'll be more understanding if you need to be bailed out (I sure did a few times).

Hey everyone, I've read posts on this site for a while and finally feel like I should post myself (thanks for everyone who makes this site great by the way). I recently found myself interested in OMFS and after speaking with a resident at my program and reading on these forums I found out that doing an externship would really help me decide if OMFS was for me or not and if so, a good way for me to start building a resume. I mention all this to say that I recently found out that I got accepted as an extern at LSU-NO this coming July! It's for 2 weeks (they said they have so many already that the whole month wouldn't be possible) and I'm really excited about it. However, I am only a second year student and thus won't have the normal amount of clinical experience that most externs would have when I show up there. Can anyone who has been here (or just externed lately) just give me a heads up on some things that I could do to be better prepared for my time at LSU? Anything to brush up on, read, buy, etc. I really want to make a good impression and learn a lot at the same time but all I feel like I can do at this point is work hard and try to mesh with the team as best as possible? Is this normal or am I just freaking out? Thanks for any advice yall can give

I went to the ole' NO after my second year for two weeks and it was a sick experience. I had pretty much no clinical training when I got there, other than simple operative stuff, so I was pretty much in the same boat (i.e. never done any extractions). Just let the guys know when you get there and, like armor said, they will be more than willing to help you out. I would suggest reading up on extractions, LA (if you aren't already pretty proficient), mandible trauma, and space infections. The OMS secrets book is pretty good for this stuff and will come in handy. Also, if you can learn to write SOAP and hospital notes (as will be expected) so you can take on more work and make the experience that much more enjoyable/beneficial. Good luck and you are bound to have a great time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, thanks armor and count! Sounds like yall had a great experience and I'm hoping for the same thing. One question, we do the SOAP note here at my school but I have no clue what you mean by a hospital note? Could you give me a quick rundown on this or point me to where I could get some info on how to write one? Thanks again!

Those LSU boys will set you loose the day you show up. I recommend sphincter exercises before you go cause you'll be left in the OR by yourself with a GSW to the face. Yeehaw... ride em cowboy

when are you going rocksilky?

Last edited:
There is something different about those LSU boys. Get ready for good times. It's unbelievable how helpful and teaching oriented they are.

Have fun and hold on! Take call as much as you can because that's when it gets hairy, haha. THE BEST 4 weeks of my dental school life.