LSU Shreveport

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dam272

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellas,

I would appreciate any information regarding the anesthesiology program at LSU Shreveport

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a CA-3 resident now, so my information is a little outdated, but the program had a very poor reputation when I was interviewing. They were also on probation at the time. I specifically remember a resident at another program stating that you would get a good education and find a job at any residency program, except LSU Shreveport. It was an interesting off the cuff comment that demonstrated the mood surrounding the program at that time. That being said, I went and interviewed there (before I knew anything about the program) and they seemed very pleasant. I didn't really get the feeling that they were very strong, at anything, but I didn't see anything specifically that was obviously lacking. You also need to consider whether or not you'd be happy in Shreveport. One of the things that I remember most about the experience was the razor wire that was surrounding the hospital parking lot. I ranked all but 2 places that I interviewed at, with LSU Shreveport being one that I didn't rank.

I'm a CA-3 resident now, so my information is a little outdated, but the program had a very poor reputation when I was interviewing. They were also on probation at the time. I specifically remember a resident at another program stating that you would get a good education and find a job at any residency program, except LSU Shreveport. It was an interesting off the cuff comment that demonstrated the mood surrounding the program at that time. That being said, I went and interviewed there (before I knew anything about the program) and they seemed very pleasant. I didn't really get the feeling that they were very strong, at anything, but I didn't see anything specifically that was obviously lacking. You also need to consider whether or not you'd be happy in Shreveport. One of the things that I remember most about the experience was the razor wire that was surrounding the hospital parking lot. I ranked all but 2 places that I interviewed at, with LSU Shreveport being one that I didn't rank.

Thank you so much for the honest opinion. I hope I get more first-hand understanding of their situation on my IV day. All the best for your final year

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump! Let's get some more feedback on this program, please

LSU Shreveport is in, well, Shreveport.

You don't want to live in Shreveport. ;)

I saw this post last week and just decided to ignore it. I'm currently in Shreveport, but I grew up in Baton Rouge.
All I can tell you OP is that if you've never lived here or if you're considering moving to LA, then don't.

Also, the reason that I'm choosing to respond now is that I live in the relatively "nice" area, and six gunshots just went off.
And I've been used to that for some time now. Anyways, best of luck to you OP!

I saw this post last week and just decided to ignore it. I'm currently in Shreveport, but I grew up in Baton Rouge.
All I can tell you OP is that if you've never lived here or if you're considering moving to LA, then don't.

Also, the reason that I'm choosing to respond now is that I live in the relatively "nice" area, and six gunshots just went off.

Oh my. Thank you for the information. Am glad that you decided to reply. That definitely gives me a lot to think about

I had no idea crime was so high in a lot of Shreveport:

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Shreveport-Louisiana.html

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/la/shreveport/crime/

With all this data am reconsidering even going there for the interview :scared:

With all this data am reconsidering even going there for the interview :scared:

Sorry to be so blunt, OP. Although to be fair I've lived in the state for a little over 25 years and I'm very much looking forward to something new.

Also, if you're still having trouble making a decision, then my suggestion is: flip a coin, and when it's in the air you'll know what side you're hoping it lands on. Go with that instinct :thumbup:

Anyone applying this cycle? I sent in my secondary about a month ago, and I know they have received it because of their weekly email updates. This week, I did not receive an update so I am a bit concerned.

Faculty not great. Too much gossip, apparently. From what I was told by a resident there quite a few of the good faculty left recently, unfortunate. Heard chairman is awesome though, real nice guy! You will learn how to intubate and extubate. But being a consultant anesthesiologist is much more than that, this program won't teach you that part! And living in Shreveport.....nothing much to say!

You created an account just to say that?