LSU vs Illinois vs CSU/UAF dual program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sammclark

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I was fortunate this year to get into quite a few programs and have narrowed it down to these three due to cost and other factors. LSU was my IS but I also qualify for IS at Illinois as I will have worked in Chicago for a year prior to matriculation. I am not quite sure what I want to pursue but I really enjoy public health work. I have visited every school, except the Alaska campus for the dual program at CSU (2 years in Fairbanks AK followed by my last two years in Fort Collins). The CSU program offers unique public health and veterinary experiences that I wouldn't be able to experience anywhere else which is why it is still on my short list even though it would be by far more expensive. What are your loves/hates about these programs? What sort of public health opportunities have you received at each institution? How are classes and professors? Do you think it's relatively easy to explore a vast array of potential careers at these schools? Another thing to add is that I think connections matter a lot if you want to do work outside of the school while in school. At LSU, I would have a bunch of connections to New Orleans clinicians (mostly small animal though), while at Illinois I work at a small animal clinic and the Zoo in Chicago which also works closely with many practitioners at MedVet Chicago, so I might have a wider range of contacts if I wanted to explore something in particular. Any info is helpful!! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.