LTC pharmacist(omnicare) advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dagreenavo

Reaction score
Was just wondering if anyone has some information on job duties and specifics for what you do as a pharmacist at this job. Saw one for 7 on 7 off nights and was debating to apply. Currently at bullseye store. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah sorry, I don't work overnight anymore (I presume it is overnight since 7 on 7 off?) and even when I did work overnight it was retail not LTC. I have never worked for Omnicare so can't comment on them either. I presume the job would be mostly about cleaning up everything left from the day shift and doing as many refills as possible, I highly doubt there would be too many new orders or admissions on the overnight shift.

Personally I think it would be a dream job, but be aware that there is simply no way it will be around forever. Still ride it while you can. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah sorry, I don't work overnight anymore (I presume it is overnight since 7 on 7 off?) and even when I did work overnight it was retail not LTC. I have never worked for Omnicare so can't comment on them either. I presume the job would be mostly about cleaning up everything left from the day shift and doing as many refills as possible, I highly doubt there would be too many new orders or admissions on the overnight shift.

Personally I think it would be a dream job, but be aware that there is simply no way it will be around forever. Still ride it while you can. :)

I wouldn’t suspect that. Omnicare is cvs owned now. I assume you are in a hub and handle the spoke locations in a tri state area. You will have remote billing which doesn’t work well.

I work overnight 7 on/7 off for a non-Omnicare LTC pharmacy and worked days for a while before going to overnights. What Owlegrad said is probably pretty accurate - cleaning up after the day shift, getting as many refills done as you can. Some nights are super slow but other nights I get new admissions faxed in up until 1-2am.

There were definitely some perks to working overnights - autonomy, not working with lazy pharmacists (which seems to be common in LTC, judging from other posts on these forums). You get to run the show.

But cleaning up after the day shift can be pretty frustrating, depending on who you work after.. this might just be more specific to my place of employment though. All the new pharmacists/techs are the ones working evenings, which tends to mean I have a lot of issues to resolve before I can really start working. Some nights I feel like I'm just treading water, fixing things for a few hours before I can really start being productive. We also have trouble finding halfway decent techs for overnights.

I used to work in ltc. What cleanup issues did you deal with.

How do you handle that schedule? How tired do you get by each day? Any perks except other than the days off?