LUCKY!! I FOUND THIS FORUM: May I share my untold journey?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LEELLISAA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea:

Hello! every one, who granted me a chance to present this "tale" of myself to U...

I'm an African Descent from one of this world's poorest country. I graduated with a B.Sc. degree at the age of 21. Luckly enough, in the year 2001, I moved to USA at the age of 22. Since my arrival in US, I have passed many challenges and was able to find a job of my profession. Yet, my sky-scrapping dream has never been met. Unfortunate as I was being born in the poorset country of our globe, going to Medical School has never been granted to me as a chance, because of many reasons hella shocking to listen. Now, I'm striving day and night trying to pave a way to my dream journey, to be a Doctor.

Please, any person of any race, who can be genuine enough to give me some advice on how should I start working on my pre-med courses, MCAT exam..etc are eagerly awaited.

THank U all for the responses of any kind U might drop me in here.

LOVE U ALL, FOR WE ALL ARE GIFTED PRODUCTS OF MOTHER EARTH!!!

Leellisaa

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

If you are enrolled in a university, drop by their pre-med advisement center. They will be able to give you lots of information about the pre-reqs, timeline of taking the MCAT and finally applying. You should also get your hands on the "Medical School Admission Guide". This book has all of the allo,osteo,BA/MD med school listings and their profiles. Might help you zero in on your goal. If you're working right now and not into academics, you need to think about getting back to school to do your sciences. I can't tell exactly where you are in your humanities and extra curriculars, but think about taking up volunteer projects and jobs that you are interested in. You should also get some clinical experience to show that you know what medicine is all about. There is a lot to do, so the sooner you get started, the better!

Good Luck!:)

Well you should definately talk to a premed advisor if you are still in school (I know you said you got your B.S. but it wasn't clear what you're doing now). If you are NOT in school, then I'd suggest stopping by a medical school and speaking to one of their guidance counselors.
Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you living in NorCal right now? That's the only place i've ever heard "hella" before.

Originally posted by ducam
Are you living in NorCal right now? That's the only place i've ever heard "hella" before.

naawww, they also say it in other states representin the west side. :clap:

In any case, to the OP--
The first thing you should do is get yourself some information on premed classes. Most schools require one year Gen Chem, one year Physics, One year organic chem, and some require one year of English and Biochem.

The MCAT is taken either in April or in August. If you are applying in 2003, the latest MCAT you can take is in Aug 2003. So basically, the latest MCAT you can take is the Aug of the year you're applying. It has been said that you are at a distinct advantage if you take it in Apirl, because schools see your application earlier.

Now, the entire application cycle itself lasts about a year. Your "AMCAS" (primary medical school application) can be sent out as early as July. People apply to a whole laundry list of schools through the AMCAS. Secondaries follow the few months after your AMCAS is submitted. A secondary = initial interest from the school. Basically, they are saying, "Let me know more about you!" So then you start filling out your secondaries. Most schools have secondary deadlines around Nov/Dec. Then you are hopefully invited to an interview. Once you are done with the interview, you find out in 4-6 weeks if you got acccepted or not.

And school begins in Fall (Aug/Sept/Oct) of the next calendar year.

So if you submitted the AMCAS in 2003, you don't start medical school till Fall of 2004. Therefore, a one year process.

I would really urge you to keep a close eye on this board because you can learn a lot about the whole process this way. The current applicants for this year and going through filling out secondaries, going to interviews and hearing back from schools about an acceptance. so you may have missed some stuff from earlier in the year, but you can do it all over again starting next April when our new kiddies take the MCATs. :)

Hope this helped. Oh yes, WELCOME TO SDN!!
Tweetie

The most important thing we need know is... do you have a greencard? If you don't have a green card it's going to be pretty hard for you to find the money for med school.

In the US there are lots of programs (ex: ROTC) to help less-well-off US citizens go to college and/or graduate school... however, if you're not a US citizen, you can't apply for these programs... so you're screwed. Honestly, you have to be pretty wealthy to go to a US med school as a non-US or Canadian citizen. Do you realize that most med schools either 1) don't accept non-us citizens or 2) require that all non-US citizens offer proof of being able to afford all 4 years tuition without financial aid?

This might tick some people off, but there is something wrong with that story... almost as if its made up.... Maybe I'm just being too paranoid.

Take this sentence for example..
"Unfortunate as I was being born in the poorset country of our globe, going to Medical School has never been granted to me as a chance, because of many reasons hella shocking to listen."

The writer purports to be foreign born by misspelling words on purpose and by using awkward grammar, but then uses the expression "hella shocking." I doubt that somebody who has just arrived here would begin using slang. Furthermore, the writer does not specify which African country she hails from. Not only that, she resorts to a rather disturbing stereotype by saying she comes from a "poor country" in Africa. Its like the lady who drowned her kids and said the black man did it, the stereotype is used to cover up a lie.

Judging by the style and timing (This post was put up after Mikdoc was exposed as premed123 on the last thread) by which this last post was put up... I, though I could be wrong, think that this is Mikdoc pulling everyone's leg with a new screenname.

It just feels contrived.

Originally posted by LEELLISAA

LOVE U ALL, FOR WE ALL ARE GIFTED PRODUCTS OF MOTHER EARTH!!!

Leellisaa

let's go hug a bush and protest against exxon-mobile, it will be fun!

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg

screw off cake boy

It's great to hear about people overcoming challenges. Follow the other posters advice and good luck!

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg

The closest you'll get to a "bush" is your boyfriend's "wood", d|ckcheesehead. --Trek

Originally posted by Trek
The closest you'll get to a "bush" is your boyfriend's "wood", d|ckcheesehead. --Trek

cerb and trek,

I expected alot more out of gifted products of mother earth. Funny, you should get a reprimand for such a directed attack post. I'm not impressed!

Originally posted by pAkhtmAn
This might tick some people off, but there is something wrong with that story... almost as if its made up.... Maybe I'm just being too paranoid.

"Unfortunate as I was being born in the poorset country of our globe, going to Medical School has never been granted to me as a chance, because of many reasons hella shocking to listen."

The writer purports to be foreign born by misspelling words on purpose and by using awkward grammar, but then uses the expression "hella shocking." I doubt that somebody who has just arrived here would begin using slang. Furthermore, the writer does not specify which African country she hails from. Not only that, she resorts to a rather disturbing stereotype by saying she comes from a "poor country" in Africa. Its like the lady who drowned her kids and said the black man did it, the stereotype is used to cover up a lie.

Judging by the style and timing (This post was put up after Mikdoc was exposed as premed123 on the last thread) by which this last post was put up... I, though I could be wrong, think that this is Mikdoc pulling everyone's leg with a new screenname.

It just feels contrived.

i totally agree. this is fake.

I think you make some good points about the possibility that this might be another mikdoc fake.

Originally posted by pAkhtmAn

It just feels contrived.

Hello! all......thanks for the constructive replies!

I will try to clarify some points for my pals out there, appreciating the noble ideas you all shared me, on the way...

In the first place, I have no problem of residence status, I have a permanent residence green card in USA. That wasn't my problem. And also to answer one of my pals question, I am from Ethiopia, one of this glob's shameless poor country.

But since I have a non-US university degree ( though I have an appreciably higher CGPA), I always had a suspicion in my mind specially when I think of joining a Medical School in US.

So, my Question is, can I still go a head with my dream no matter what? If that helps me a crust, I have a good clinical research experience in USA. Currently, I'm a biomedical research study tech. Please, forward your noble ideas, as usual.

LUVU all!!!

Leellisaa

Hello! all......thanks for the constructive replies!

I will try to clarify some points for my pals out there, appreciating the noble ideas you all shared me, on the way...

In the first place, I have no problem of residence status, I have a permanent residence green card in USA. That wasn't my problem. And also to answer one of my pals question, I am from Ethiopia, one of this glob's shameless poor country.

But since I have a non-US university degree ( though I have an appreciably higher CGPA), I always had a suspicion in my mind specially when I think of joining a Medical School in US.

So, my Question is, can I still go a head with my dream no matter what? If that helps me a crust, I have a good clinical research experience in USA. Currently, I'm a biomedical research study tech. Please, forward your noble ideas, as usual.

LUVU all!!!

Leellisaa

Thats cool, I'm originally from Nigeria, lived up and about. I've always wanted to learn Amharic, I've had many Ethiopian/Eritrean friends along the way, and I love injera :)
You should be fine, 1 thing to remember though is that most if not all US med schls want students educated abroad to complete like 1-2yrs of college in a college in the US/Canada.

Thanks lottana for the idea!

I guess it would be easier then for me to get started with my MSC in Biochemistry so that I will have a double hit ( at least my Msc in case med scholl didn't work out). I already gone through the graduate school process, so I would only need to complete the msc and then crack on the med thing on the way?

Does that tase better? But I have this stupid idea that I'm already late (age =24) to plan going to a med school). Do U have anything to say?

Later!
Leellisaa

Thanks lottana for the idea!

I guess it would be easier then for me to get started with my MSC in Biochemistry so that I will have a double hit ( at least my Msc in case med scholl didn't work out). I already gone through the graduate school process, so I would only need to complete the msc and then crack on the med thing on the way?

Does that tase better? But I have this stupid idea that I'm already late (age =24) to plan going to a med school). Do U have anything to say?

Later!
Leellisaa

24 isn't old, some people dont even graduate from undergrad till around 24, so I'd say go ahead and do the program, try to knock it out in 2yrs, age 26 isnt too bad. If u really wanna be a doctor, dont let a mere 2yrs stop u from doing that. :)

All the basic answers, plus all the individual requirements for each school are compiled in the annually published Medical School Admission Requirements which can be found at amazon and other online book stores. Get ahold of one, so you have a clear idea of the different paths you can take. Good luck

I had this B.Sc. degree in Animal Science. Currently I'm working as a research study technician for a pre-clinical research company. Soon, I will be working towards my pre-med courses. But I was wondering if I can list the pre-clinical research experience for my med. application in the future. How do U see teh relevance of my degree towards a med. school??

Jsut say what U would do if U were in my shoes..

LUVU ALL!!
Lee

"I will persist until I succeed. I was not delivered into this world in defeat, nor does failure course in my veins. I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd. I am a lion and I refuse to talk, to walk, or to sleep with the sheep. I will hear not those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious. Let them join the sheep! The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny. I WILL PERSIST UNTIL I SUCCEED."