Lumbar Discogram - transthecal approach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ampaphb

Interventional Spine
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Colleague did a, L2/3 - L5/S1 discogram using a transthecal approach. I thought this was unusual (no contraindications to going extrapedicular). Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

sounds foolish to me...

patient get a headache?

certainly unusual.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the advantage of going transthecal? I don't get it.

Last edited:
I have done this numerous times but it should not be used as the initial approach. Spinal headache 10-15%.

What's your approach for doing the transthecal?
What Gauge needle and do you use an introducer
I would think with a 25 G needle the risk should of PDPH should be low and for some of the difficult
L5/S1 might be a reasonable thought to get to the center of the disc and save time
Also, other then the PDPH any other major risk to doing this approach

What I found unusual was that he did a 4 level disco, using this approach at all levels

again... very foolish...

Yes, extrapedicular should be the preferred approach unless otherwise contraindicated (hardware, excessive os formation, osteophyte or other anatomical variation that may prevent access such as that occasionally seen at L5-S1).

Sounds like someone didn't do a fellowship and just picked up a spine model and said I can do a disco.

Pressure manometry?
Results match imaging?
Needs fusion real bad?
Love you long tim.

only advantage I can see is that their rip roaring spinal headache will take supercede their increased back pain from the disco.

Or maybe the patient needs therapeutic wet taps for high CSF state? kind of a two for one?

He hates that dura!!! (Yell it like Steve Martin in The Jerk)