Lumigan eye drops and side effects

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cn2009

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there's any optometrist in this forum can please answer my question about Lumigan eye drops. My mother-in-law has glaucoma and she's been using Lumigan for a few months. Her eye and eyelid get really itchy after she puts in the drops. Her doctor switched Lumigan with Xalatan but it did not help. If anybody knows anything about this, please let me know. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

cn2009 said:
I was wondering if there's any optometrist in this forum can please answer my question about Lumigan eye drops. My mother-in-law has glaucoma and she's been using Lumigan for a few months. Her eye and eyelid get really itchy after she puts in the drops. Her doctor switched Lumigan with Xalatan but it did not help. If anybody knows anything about this, please let me know. Thank you very much.

Ok information you could probably find anywhere on the internet. Both Lumigan and Xalatan are IOP lowering medications. They are in the category family of prostaglandin analogs, and so is Travatan. Side effects include: Lash growth, iris discoloration, inflammation (redness) since its an inflammatory analog, CME in apakia/pseudophakia patients, periorbital skin chages. Also these drugs must be cautiously used in anyone already having inflammatory processes, i.e. uveitis, or hyphemas.

Back to your question,....Go back to your eye doctor and express your concerns over the redness/itching. There are alternatives that you must ask about, and questions that you must raise to the doctor. No medical advise will be given here.

Best of luck.

cn2009 said:

Has she considered refrigerating them? If not try for a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
POJO said:

Has she considered refrigerating them? If not try for a week.
Thanks for your help! I'll tell her to try refrigerating them.

Ryan_eyeball said:
Ok information you could probably find anywhere on the internet. Both Lumigan and Xalatan are IOP lowering medications. They are in the category family of prostaglandin analogs, and so is Travatan. Side effects include: Lash growth, iris discoloration, inflammation (redness) since its an inflammatory analog, CME in apakia/pseudophakia patients, periorbital skin chages. Also these drugs must be cautiously used in anyone already having inflammatory processes, i.e. uveitis, or hyphemas.

Back to your question,....Go back to your eye doctor and express your concerns over the redness/itching. There are alternatives that you must ask about, and questions that you must raise to the doctor. No medical advise will be given here.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the help!