PhD/PsyD Lying about enrollment in 2 degree programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananabread2323

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
removed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How does her doing this affect you?

If it doesn't, mind your own business.

Reactions: 1 users
Good point and I completely agree. The only way I can see it affecting me is if my department finds out that I've known all along, and I may be in hot water for not reporting an ethical violation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Somebody likes drama.

Reactions: 1 user
Good point and I completely agree. The only way I can see it affecting me is if my department finds out that I've known all along, and I may be in hot water for not reporting an ethical violation.

It seems unlikely that you would be in hot water over this, or even that your department would discover that you 'knew all along'. I would ask myself about my motive -- is it more a 'compulsively ethical' streak of reporting violations? Is it driven by an already established competitive relationship with this student?

And beyond that, I would ask yourself if you would like to be notable to your department for pointing out another student's ethical violation (particularly one that does not impact you). If her violation does not impact you, it could simply get you entangled in an another student's financial and ethical issues.

People who generally behave unethically and speak openly about it tend to sink their own ships along the way.

How do they know that you know this? Better yet, How can they prove that you know?

Look, it's one thing if there's some serious academic malfeasance, like cheating, plagiarism, or quid pro quo, but you're not responsible for what your peers do outside of school and it's also pretty much none of your business as long as it doesn't have anything to do with school. If she wants to play fast and loose with the program's rules (is this even explicitly against the rules? What does the program handbook say?) or even public funding (especially if both programs are with public institutions), that's her business. Don't add this to the stress and worries of grad school. You don't need this burden and it gets you nothing.

It seems unlikely that you would be in hot water over this, or even that your department would discover that you 'knew all along'. I would ask myself about my motive -- is it more a 'compulsively ethical' streak of reporting violations? Is it driven by an already established competitive relationship with this student?

And beyond that, I would ask yourself if you would like to be notable to your department for pointing out another student's ethical violation (particularly one that does not impact you). If her violation does not impact you, it could simply get you entangled in an another student's financial and ethical issues.

People who generally behave unethically and speak openly about it tend to sink their own ships along the way.
Right, but also consider that other people in the program might not feel the same way. They may not know, but since it doesn't really affect you or the rest of the program, you don't want to be seen as a snitch and sticking your nose into other people's business.

I'm not saying this hypothetical perspective would be correct or that I agree with it, just that it could happen. People moonlight without permission and do other stuff that is technically against department rules all the time, but it doesn't really affect anything until people start talking about it and someone who actually cares learns about it.

Grad school is hard enough without alienating other students.

Don't worry, they'll sink themselves, as @autumn7 said. If not by opening their mouth too much, then in a slow and painful way as the demands of both programs become too much and she's doing a crappy job at everything. If someone is doing something unethical but it's not putting anyone else at risk of imminent / serious harm or damaging client care, my approach is that they will probably learn the best lesson by learning it the hard way.