lyme disease

Started by mhlaur
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhlaur

AVC c/o 2014!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. I got back a couple weeks ago from a trip down the US east coast. My dog (7y old male greyhound) picked up a few ticks down there. The 3rd one I just discovered yesterday on his neck. It wasn't huge, but likely was on him quite a few days. It was definitely a deer tick. The skin around the bite wound is very red and there's a dime sized hard lump. I'm concerned about lyme disease. He very likely picked up the tick in Connecticut where I stopped overnight at a friend's place surrounded by woods.

Is there any harm in treating him with doxycycline for a month if he doesn't have lyme? I'd rather be cautious. The cost is not relevant. Can't get to the vet for 2 more days since it's a holiday tomorrow.
 
Treating with antibiotics without a diagnosis from a vet only helps create antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
 
this thread is going to get locked because you are asking for medical advice, which is a no-no. but before it does, tomorrow is not a holiday fyi...a week from tomorrow is 😉.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Actually it probably is a holiday for mhlaur since he/she is in Nova Scotia. It's Victoria day in Canada😀
 
Not every tick has lyme disease. If it did, then there would be few people left (especially in connecticut). Don't overreact. Go to a vet when you can.

The thread should be locked, but I have to say before it does that self-dosing a dog without symptoms is a bad idea in most any case (and not even a good one if you just "think" she has symptoms).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.