10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
CO
Status
Any experience with Lyrica for BPD? Benzo withdrawal? Benzo dependent bipolars?

Anasazi23

Your Digital Ruler
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2003
The innocent shall suffer...big time
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
1. Those are not approved indications.
2. Please don't use this on benzo dependent bipolars or in withdrawal states.
3. Given the mechanism of action, why would you expect it to be much different from gabapentin?
4. Gabapentin sucks as a mood stabilizer and can be dangerous in benzo dependents. This shouldn't be much different.
5. Neurontin's patent just ran out last year.
6. Something you learn in medical school:
"Never be the first to use, nor the last to give up, a particular medicament."

About the Ads

10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
CO
Status
I actually love gabapentin, but not as a mood stabilizer. I had no intentions of using lyrica, but a drug rep told me alot of psychiatrists are using it this way??? I was just wondering if that is true. Also, we always have lyrica samples and never gaba-p, plus medical does not cover gaba-p fro anything but peripheral neuropathy.

Milo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
psisci said:
I actually love gabapentin

Have you tried it on toast? Yum.

Seriously though the best thing I can say about gpentin is that it has essentially no side effects. So, all in all ,it's efficacy matches its risk potential. Not too shabby. ;)

Anasazi23

Your Digital Ruler
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
psisci said:
I actually love gabapentin
For what?

...but not as a mood stabilizer. I had no intentions of using lyrica, but a drug rep told me alot of psychiatrists are using it this way???
If by "alot" you mean "none," then, yes.
I was just wondering if that is true. Also, we always have lyrica samples and never gaba-p, plus medical does not cover gaba-p fro anything but peripheral neuropathy.
See point #5 above.

10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
CO
Status
I use it for low-med GAD, and/or sleep probs where I do not want to get into benzos or a sleeper, and the patient is not severe enough to try quetiapine or something. This is outpatient.

10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
CO
Status
gaba-p antagonizes glutamate, so it works well to just chill the whole CNS down a bit, has a wide dosing range, and is excreted renally.

Anasazi23

Your Digital Ruler
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Physicians are OK with you suggesting Neurontin for off-label use?

This is one of the hottest lawsuit drugs right now. Documentation has to be caught up, and the indications clear, even if they're embellished.

Do a google search...scary stuff.

10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
CO
Status
Ya they are OK with it. I only do this for patients that either I see weekly or a therapist in the dept does, so we feel we are monitoring well. They also see their med provider every month or so.....

Anasazi23

Your Digital Ruler
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Check out these asshats.

Then they have the audacity to say they "give back to the community" by posing with cerebral palsy kids. Meanwhile, that's where their biggest payouts are - suing OB docs for every CP case they can get their hands on. Unfortunately, juries are too low-IQ to understand the mechanism of birthing and how it [doesn't] necessarily relate.

They should be drawn & quartered.

10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
CO
Status
Amazing... Thanks for the heads up. I certainly do not want to put any medical provider in jeapordy. I never end up using it anyhow as it is not covered, even as a generic by Medi-Cal (low income insurance in Ca). I guess it is back to benzos.......

10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
CO
Status
Hey, we agree on something!! I think we have come to a very critical point in our relationship.......blah blah blah. I hate it when pts no show...I don't do bored very elegantly...

pingouin

just chillin'
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2005
ocean adjacent
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Anasazi23 said:
Check out these asshats.

Then they have the audacity to say they "give back to the community" by posing with cerebral palsy kids. Meanwhile, that's where their biggest payouts are - suing OB docs for every CP case they can get their hands on. Unfortunately, juries are too low-IQ to understand the mechanism of birthing and how it [doesn't] necessarily relate.

They should be drawn & quartered.

Try living in the same city with them. Their TV commercials were single-handedly responsible for one of my psychotic bipolar patients stopping her Zyprexa. Her doctor couldn't say anything that would get her to go back on it, and she'd done really well with it. They're awful. I haven't seen the Neurontin commercial yet.... need to watch more late night TV I suppose.

Milo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
jlw9698 said:
I haven't seen the Neurontin commercial yet.... need to watch more late night TV I suppose.
There is one with a silhouette of a noose. Very tasteful.

About the Ads