M.D./Ph.D. after MS2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kyu516

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's not publicly advertised most of the time, but I think most schools are willing to work with you on this.

I also think a school's policy tends to change based on changes of leadership and available resources (ie, money) at the time. Just my thoughts, no basis in reality.

-X

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I think it can depend on the size of the MD/PhD class you may be entering...for instance....did they only have 5 out of 6 available seats matriculate...or was there a student that dropped out and now they have an empty. Such issues may increase your chances; however, if these situations haven't occurred, you still may have a good chance. It never hurts to talk to a program coordinator or director and see what options exist. Best of luck.

something else to consider, starting after MS2 means you' saved the MSTP from paying your tuition and stipend for the first two years. Your stipend during the PhD is provided by the lab. So they only have to support you during clinical. From what I was told at one program, this makes it a little easier to get in after MS2.

and also removes one of the largest benefits.

Hello,

I was wondering if there happens to be any specific website that lists all the medical schools that have an MD/PhD program, who offer MS2 students the chance to apply for the PhD degree.

I know only of Mount Sinai and Tufts at the moment. Any response would help. Thanks a bunch! :)

are you an MS1/MS2 now? Have you seen how difficult it is to transfer institutions?

On a related note. Can you defer for a year and try to get into the PhD portion if you have an MD acceptance?