M.D./PhD.-- why?

Started by erc80
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

erc80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My friend is going apply to an MD/Phd program soon enough. She's wanted to be a doctor ever since we were in elementary school, however she didn't get into med school on her first try. So she's doing a Master's right now and then going to reapply. I think she reallly started to enjoy the research in her program and I have a feeling she's conflicted about choosing between her MD or Phd. I think that is why she's going to apply to do both.

I am curious -- maybe some of you here on the forum might be able to tell me why someone might want to do an MD/PhD? Similar reasons as my friend? Different reasons?