M.S.(hard sciences) as difficult as medical school coursework?

Started by kalix
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kalix

born ready
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Currently, I'm enrolled in a masters in biology program at a state school. I graduated recently from a respected university, and decided to seek a masters prior to applying to med school. The workload has been heavy, however, I'm keeping up with all the reading, so I'm excelling as a result. All of my classes are taken with the phD students as well.

So, for anyone that has experience at the graduate(M.S. biology, chemistry, etc. or phD) AND medical school level, is the degree of difficulty fairly comparable? 👍 👎 ???
 
I can't answer the question directly, but from my experience graduate bio classes are significantly less demanding than law school courses. So I can't believe they grad science classes are as challenging as med school. But I'm sure there are differences in difficuly among the grad programs. and challenges unique to grad school.
 
Grad school focuses on details about a specific area. Med school is all about details in everything. I'm finding med school much more challenging than grad school was. I have an MS in biology.

Grad school was discovering ideas (synthesis) while med school (at least the first two years) is memorizing detail so you can eventually apply it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did the pre-medical certificate in physiology at MCV/VCU last year. This required 27 credits in graduate courses. The administration, along with first-year medical students that went through the program, agree that the certificate program is in fact harder/more challenging than the first year of medical school. I think it depends on what graduate classes you take, how many credits, and where you take them. I am now doing a Masters but thanks to that year, I don't have to take any classes...just research.
 
VPDcurt said:
I did the pre-medical certificate in physiology at MCV/VCU last year. This required 27 credits in graduate courses. The administration, along with first-year medical students that went through the program, agree that the certificate program is in fact harder/more challenging than the first year of medical school. I think it depends on what graduate classes you take, how many credits, and where you take them. I am now doing a Masters but thanks to that year, I don't have to take any classes...just research.

Ok...well that's exactly what I was hoping to hear!! :laugh:

And runtita...your evaluation between the two makes sense, I once had a professor tell me that phD courses are 6 feet deep and 1 inch wide, while med school classes are 1 inch deep and 6 feet wide.... personally, I would opt for the latter 😎

Lindyhopper, thanks for the input ... but ya, I think you're right, it's tough to start comparing law school with med school, the subject material is just too different to draw any meaningful comparisons from....
 
I did the MA in med sci program at BU, 32 credits + a library thesis in a year. it was a lot of work especially since my undergrad GPA sucked and I needed to ace my classes. 24 of the credits were with the 1st year med students. so essentially I had to score higher on the tests than 85% of the first years did to get the grades I needed, in addition to getting the thesis done.

I ended up attending BUSM, my first year was joke, I was exempt from 3/4 of the classes. I think I only needed the equivalent of like 18 credits for the year, plus some clinical stuff once a week. I honestly partied more 1st year than in college.

but second year is a different animal entirely , I'm not exempt from anything, the courses are more integrated and build heavily on the stuff learned 1st year. I find the material a lot more interesting and relevant, but man, there is just so much stuff we are responsible for. I am studying more than I ever did before...way more. doing well but its a constant effort to keep on top of things. If I'm well studied and dare I say ahead in one class, its because I'm behind in two other classes. plus there's the clinical stuff and a paper to research and present each week.

so I have to say the masters was hard, lots of things to do, and the material seemed real tough, there's a steep learning curve going from undergrad science courses to graduate level medical courses, even though I took a decent amount of upper level bio during undergrad. But med school on the other hand.... don't really find the material hard to understand, what I do find hard the level of detail I am expected to know, on a large volume of information presented in the classes. in addition the other stuff i need to do for school. its real juggling act to keep on top of things. I could get away studying a lot less than i do, but I want to get honors not just pass.

i dont even want to think about step I in the spring, figuring third year will be a lot better in some ways........and worse in others.
 
It is 8:46 on Saturday night.
I am hopelessly lost in a physiology - biochemistry menage a grief.
It is homecoming and I am studying in the familiar halls of my alma mater. I can hear the joyous bellows of PBR induced laughter outside.
I am forced to learn about tropinin, myosin, and the humility of being forced to study HARDER concepts because I did so POORLY with the EASIER ones.
Grad school because I sucked in undergrad? - darn this makes no sense.
Back to physiology and biochem.
Your Saturday Night Nerd,
911Med