M.S. in Animal Science- Your thoughts??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReadyBeVet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! :D

The abridged version: What do you think of a M.S. in Animal Science? Looked upon favorably by vet schools? In your opinion, did you gain a lot of hands on experience that helped you in vet school? Etc. Etc! What jobs have you had since earning a degree in Animal Science? I'm also interested in hearing your thoughts on WVU's program. It is the closest to me and relocating isn't really an option at this time.

Long version:
I'm contemplating going to WVU for a Master's in Animal & Nutritional Science. My dream is to be admitted into vet school in the next few years. I feel like I need to beef-up my resume with more volunteer work and upper level animal/science related courses. Currently I have about 1,500 hrs at an animal shelter as an employee and volunteer. 300 hours at a small animal clinic.

I currently have a B.S. in Education. I previously was a Bio major for two years, but transferred schools and majors after my dad had a heart attack. At the time, it seemed logical because my degree in education wasn't nearly as time consuming and allowed me more time with my family. However, here I am several years later... Unfullfilled and still wanting more than anything to become a veterinarian. I have only a few pre-reqs to finish before I can apply. In your opinion, do you think going back to school would be beneficial to me as an applicant? I want them to see my sincere devotion to animals and the profession. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I've been contemplating the whole Animal Science thing these last few months.

I went the other way, went back to school and went chemistry (based). I like this field much more as an alternative/complimentary career then I think Animal Science (AS) would suit me.

Guess im not sure of your question. Are you asking about if AS is the way to go? I certainly think that going back to school is a viable and probably necessary option for you if you really want Vet School. AS though, not sure.

Like I started out, I was initially skeptical of the worth of an AS degree. I had a bio degree, close enough. Now, I still love my chosen career path but as I am about to enter vet school, I am suddenly feeling inadequate about what I do and do not know, and wish I had a strong AS foundation.

What I did/would do again, is think about if you do not get in (ever). Will the last few years going back to school have been a waste? Can you do something with the schooling you went back for? Or are you left in the same spot, perhaps a bit more in debt? Pick a degree that can lead to something else besides vet school.

I've been contemplating the whole Animal Science thing these last few months.

I went the other way, went back to school and went chemistry (based). I like this field much more as an alternative/complimentary career then I think Animal Science (AS) would suit me.

Guess im not sure of your question. Are you asking about if AS is the way to go? I certainly think that going back to school is a viable and probably necessary option for you if you really want Vet School. AS though, not sure.

Like I started out, I was initially skeptical of the worth of an AS degree. I had a bio degree, close enough. Now, I still love my chosen career path but as I am about to enter vet school, I am suddenly feeling inadequate about what I do and do not know, and wish I had a strong AS foundation.

What I did/would do again, is think about if you do not get in (ever). Will the last few years going back to school have been a waste? Can you do something with the schooling you went back for? Or are you left in the same spot, perhaps a bit more in debt? Pick a degree that can lead to something else besides vet school.

Both things I bolded are the front runners in my mind.

What is the worth of an AS degree- what other career paths does it leave me if I don't ever get admitted to vet school? I think I ultimately do want to work with animals as a career no matter if I'm a vet or not. But what doors does a M.S. in AS open??

Members don't see this ad :)
While I certainly want to work with animals - It is not the most important thing for me. I could work with animals my entire life as a zoo keeper or kennel worker, but I would not feel satisfied (responsibility, financially, ect.)

I think you should rethink your angle of attack here. You say "you want/would like to work with animals", then go "what kind of jobs does an MS in A.S. enable me to do"...

Well, are you really sure that you want to work with animals your entire life, even if the work does little to promote advancement, financial security, personal satisfaction, ect. If you said yes, then go for it (work with animals).

But I would very much like to wander Eastern Europe doing odd jobs for the next 15 years of my life, but not at the expense of other things (like family, friends, finance, ect.)

Now let me say, I have NO IDEA what an A.S. degree would allow you to do. Teach? Glorified farmer? (No offense to anyone, I really have no idea).

But look at other avenues of education as well - what else would you liek to be (not as a fall back to "I almost made it", but something you can still be happy with and proud. I have one friend who ended up being an aerospace engineer out of a Pre-Med program) You NEVER have to give up on being a vet, but you can be building a future if you end up doing so.

I definitely see your point. You've brought to light something that I guess I've overlooked in my post. If I don't become a vet, I need to have a viable career alternative that I am prepared to follow and be happy in. What that is remains to be seen. :idea:

I do want to work with animals, but preferably as a veterinarian. Other jobs with animals may be nice, but I want fulfillment out of my job. I want to be making a difference, to be satisfied... not just scooping poop/farming, etc. until I retire. If I'm not a vet, I can continue rescue work and volunteering and still be working with animals while having another career.

If you didn't get into veterinary school, you could continue on with your program, earn a PhD and become an AS professor. I'm sure having a degree in Education wouldn't hurt.

Glad I could be of help

BTW, most people ignore most of what I have to say, and for good reason. Wait until at least 3-4 others comment before you decide anything :D

I did my undergrad in Animal Science, I gained a lot of hands-on experience. The classes I took were extremely helpful in preparing me for my future work as a food animal vet.

Unfortunately, if you end up pursuing a career other than veterinary medicine, finding a job will be difficult. My undergrad advisor once told me that AS degrees are a dime a dozen. The majority of my peers couldn’t find a job that utilized their degree so they decided to get teaching certifications. Many of them are now working as AG teachers and a few are working as extension agents (I live in Texas where those jobs are popular but many states are eliminating extension and vocational agricultural).

If you didn't get into veterinary school, you could continue on with your program, earn a PhD and become an AS professor. I'm sure having a degree in Education wouldn't hurt.

I agree with Ben and Me and think a PhD. in AS would be a great alternative if you don’t go to vet school, but again it limits you to teaching and research.

I did my M.S. in veterinary parasitology. I had already taken a number of animal science classes and felt that I should learn another area that would be applicable to my work as a veterinarian. However, just like animal science if I wasn’t accepted to vet school my degree in veterinary parasitology would limit what types of jobs I could get.

If you are not 100% sure about vet school I think you should go with No Imagination’s advice and chose a field that has more alternatives such as chemistry or biology

The distinction at some places (I'm looking at you UC Davis!) is so unclear between departments, too. My graduate group is Animal Biology, which is housed in the Animal Science department, but my PI is in the school of vet med. I picked the ABGG for the reason that they seemed to have the best support for MS students out of the groups that my PI was involved in. In the end, I don't quite know how much what major your degree says on it matters, and think that what matters more is what your research was in/what classes you took. I'm exclusively taking classes on genetics and animal behavior, and my research is in behavioral genetics.

Just my opinion, but if you're looking at going to grad school, especially for a thesis based MS, you will get out of it exactly what you put into it, and I think that adcoms will be able to tell. So if you're going to do an MS, do one in an area you are interested enough in to produce original research.

Have you looked into what classes you will have to take for the Animal Science program? If you are pursuing a masters degree to supplement and prepare you for a career in veterinary medicine, make sure the classes and research you will be doing is either relevant to your interests OR its going to prepare you for vet school.

There might be other programs you want to consider as well. I know a few people who did MS degrees in microbiology and biochemistry, for example, and man they were so prepared for vet school. First year was like cake for them.

And I think the title of the program can be very misleading. You might assume that a degree in "Animal Science" might be veterinary related but I think that would be judging a book by its cover. I would look into the faculty, courses, and requirements of the program before you apply.

:luck: Good Luck! :luck: