Dec 4, 2010
Status
Psychology Student
Hello, I am a undergrad in psychology looking at furthering my education. I have found a Masters of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. Now I am just wondering how likely of a chanceit would be after a fews years of practicing under that degree my chances and applying to a Psy.D program in clinical psychology?

psypipe

7+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2010
Status
Psychology Student
well your chances are good.Psyd value clinical experience and you will certainly get that at your ms.Many succesful psyd applicants have masters.There are some good psyd that requiere you have a masters before applying.Example Pepperdine and Pcom(I think).A sugeestion: if you are 100% sure you want a psyd, its better to apply rigth away instead of going to a masters.Unless you dont have the qualifications.

Dec 6, 2010
Status
Psychologist
If you plan to get a doctorate, I would not get a terminal masters, unless you need to do so in order to bolster a poor undergraduate record. It is not uncommon for a doctoral program to not accept many transfer masters credits from another program, so it costs you both time and money.

I believe that doctoral programs that require a masters for admission are the exception, not the rule.