M1 Dilemma about summer research - seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LimeLaCroix

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at a crossroads in choosing between a 4 week orthopedic program and a 7 week bariatric summer research program. I am interested in orthopedics for now, but I am not a 100% sure and would be open to other surgical fields.

pros/cons of the ortho one:
- networking with the ortho faculty
- getting my foot in the door in this competitive ass field, as even getting ortho research seems pretty hard
- cons is that it's only 4 weeks and I'm not sure if that would be long enough to have a significant outcome.

pros/cons of the bariatric one:
- the PI is known to be an extremely supportive mentor who follows up with you long-term and has explicitly ensured an abstract or pub by the end.
- cons would be that if I take this, Idk if I would short myself of getting more ortho research opportunities in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

Ortho research for someone interested in ortho. As highlighted above, just because the formal program ends after 4wk doesn’t mean you should stop. In fact the point is likely to get you started, and then you continue going forward

Reactions: 3 users