M1 Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SugarDaddy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm currently an m1 trying to decide what to do between my m1 and m2 years. I have the choice between research that may lead to a publication, or doing medical volunteer work abroad. Both are positive, but what does anything think about best for residency apps.

Members don't see this ad.

SugarDaddy said:
Hey guys, i'm currently an m1 trying to decide what to do between my m1 and m2 years. I have the choice between research that may lead to a publication, or doing medical volunteer work abroad. Both are positive, but what does anything think about best for residency apps.

All else being equal, I would say go for the medical volunteer work abroad. Research is becoming a dime a dozen these days, and really won't set you apart from the pack unless it's a pretty significant project. A trip to a foreign country will really give you something to talk about in your interviews. I've talked to a PD of a residency program who said (to paraphrase) "I don't care what you do during your summer between M1 and M2 year as long as it gives us something to talk about during the interview."

I respectfully disagree with Andy. I think that a research experience where you can leave with something tangible to show your hard work (in this case, a publication) will prove more valuable in the end, especially if you are looking into competitive residencies or fellowships. Perhaps just as important, it can help you narrow down your career choices, as it may influence you one way or the other on academic medicine.

I'm sure that the volunteer experience abroad will probably be a better time overall, and provide you with a few more stories to tell your buddies at the bar, but research will probably be more useful in your career progression.

Frankly, if you're applying to a comepetitive resdiency, then reasearch DOES matter - but not the crappy two months you're going to do over the summer. True, you MIGHT get something good out of it, but if you're really set on a super-competitive specialty, then you'll probably end up having to take a year off to do meaningful research anyway. So, enjoy the summer and do something cool with it.

If, on the other hand, you're NOT planning on going into a competitive specialty, then research really DOESN'T matter, in which case you would again be better off taking the summer to travel or do medical work abroad.

Oh, and don't forget to consider the fact that MS2 is very long, very hard, and can be demoralizing at times. If you didn't go away and travel over the summer like you wanted, you might regret it... which *could* make you a bitter 2nd year...

So... you know my opinion :D.