M1 Thinking about Ortho - Research question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Blue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a first year medical student and I am exploring fields that I am interested in to pursue as a career. Initially i was very drawn to optho and have lined up research in that department for the summer. However, I am also heavily considering orthopedic surgery, but the deadline for summer research is approaching and I do not think i'll have time to find a mentor so soon in Ortho (and I am still interested in optho as well!!)

My question is, as this is my one big chunk of time to do research, will it hurt if I have research in another field (optho) if i choose to do ortho? It is clinical work if that makes a difference

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It will look better to do ortho research if that's what you end up choosing.

However, if you can get a paper published that's all that matters. Prove that you can accomplish something, committees know that most people don't know what they want to do in medicine until their later years in med school.

Having said that, ophtho and ortho are extremely different fields. It's hard to know at this point what you care about for your profession, but the fact that you're between those two seems like you probably have no idea yet.

I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who may have been between those two, just seems bizarre to me.

I too was interested in both ortho and ophtho at one point. I think people can have a variety of interests. Choosing a specialty is ultimately about what you like THE MOST. Good luck.