M3 - General Surgery Considerations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TakotsuboOkazaki

General Surgery Resident
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
M3 considering General Surgery. I am interested in keeping fellowship options open after training, particularly ACS/Trauma. I don’t have aspirations for MGH/Hopkins types, just looking to match at a decent academic/academic-associated program with decent fellowship options. Honestly I know its asking a lot but a 5 year program would be preferred vs a 7 year program, for obvious reasons.

School: Mid Tier MD
Pre-Clinical: Top 1/3rd (how my school breaks it up)
Step 1: 256
Step 2: Not yet
Rotations: Only one back so far, Honors in OB/GYN
Research: Sort of weak here. Two papers I am 4-5th author on in review (1 nsg, 1 basic science neuro). Two abstracts to national conferences, neither of which I presented (2nd and 4th author)
Volunteer: 6 years at a clinic in home city, various tutoring, single time events
Other: Schools academic honor society, a number of prior work experiences, member of some interest groups based on my hobbies

Things I’m working on in M3: Nailing rotations and expanding on my research as much as possible. Hoping to write a case report or two at some point if possible and actively looking for some manageable retrospective stuff

What are your thoughts? Hoping I can get myself in a good position in the 12 months before my ERAS opens. Any tips appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
you sound smart. why the pain of general surgery?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
You’ll match fine at an academic program.
Do some aways when all this COVID stuff clears up.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You are in a great position to match into General Surgery! Your Step 1 score is excellent, you attend a US med school, and your resume seems pretty dang good at this point. Yes, research is somewhere you could improve on, but you also aren't totally lacking in that department either. The fact that you even have two papers and two abstracts in 3rd year is great! Continue to work on research this year and try to land some kind of first author abstract and you should honestly be golden. General surgery programs do place a bit more emphasis on research than other specialties, however, I do still believe you could match into a great program even if you weren't able to add more research to your resume. Continue to work hard and do well to honor your rotations (especially your General Surgery one). Also, have a game plan on obtaining amazing letters of recommendations. Some students don't take LORs very seriously but they are a very important aspect of your application. One bad letter and you'll be out of many interviews.
Best of luck!! Surgery residency is tough but it is a very rewarding field.
- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors