M4 schedule advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

neurotrancer

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

Before I embark on the interview trail this upcoming late Nov/Dec/Jan, I am scheduled to take electives in 1)hematopathology, 2) general pathology, 3) academic pathology (it is the most forgiving as far as allowing for time off to go for interviews). I have decided to do the hematopathology elective instead of a medical examiners elective, because I've heard that actually autopsy isn't necessarily such a big part of a pathologists career unless they want to do forensics specifically. Heme/Onc is what I am interested in though. The only thing I'm still wondering though is that instead of the second elective in general path, I'm thinking about doing a clinical elective in heme/onc in Arizona. I guess I just want to make one final push to decide if I want to be a clinical hematologist, or do I want to be a hematopathologist since heme/onc disease entities are what I want to involve myself with for the rest of my life. Would I be a better candidate for path having just hematopath and academic path, and a clinical heme/onc elective, or would it be better to do hematopath/general path/academic path?

This is a big decision and I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you very much.
 
Hello,

Before I embark on the interview trail this upcoming late Nov/Dec/Jan, I am scheduled to take electives in 1)hematopathology, 2) general pathology, 3) academic pathology (it is the most forgiving as far as allowing for time off to go for interviews). I have decided to do the hematopathology elective instead of a medical examiners elective, because I've heard that actually autopsy isn't necessarily such a big part of a pathologists career unless they want to do forensics specifically. Heme/Onc is what I am interested in though. The only thing I'm still wondering though is that instead of the second elective in general path, I'm thinking about doing a clinical elective in heme/onc in Arizona. I guess I just want to make one final push to decide if I want to be a clinical hematologist, or do I want to be a hematopathologist since heme/onc disease entities are what I want to involve myself with for the rest of my life. Would I be a better candidate for path having just hematopath and academic path, and a clinical heme/onc elective, or would it be better to do hematopath/general path/academic path?

This is a big decision and I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you very much.


In terms of being a better candidate, I doubt very much that your 4th year elective choices will make any kind of impact. Rather, you should at least do a pathology elective to see what it is like, decide if you want to pursue it, and have something to talk about during your interviews. Word of advice: do an elective you want to do. I did several clinical electives, including hem-onc, which were interesting and probably an added bonus because it enhanced my knowledge of how clinicians actually use pathology to manage their patients.