M4 schedule for general surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dares Dareson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out my M4 schedule with general surgery in mind, but I am failing to find much guidance. Could you please help? My school has 2 required courses and 5 electives. I'll be taking Step 2 in July and starting M4 in August, when I plan to take a Sub-I.

1. Required Advanced Medicine
2. Required Advanced Surgery
3. Surgery Sub-I (in August so I can get LOR in time)
4. Research Elective (during interview season)
5. Anesthesia
6. Radiology
7. Second Surgery Sub-I or an elective in SICU, Trauma, Plastics, CT

My questions are:
- Is there any point in a second Sub-I? Or should I just do a surgery elective? Is a Sub-I even necessary?
- Are anesthesia/radiology good choices? Or should I do more surgery electives? I figure it doesn't matter because I'll be taking them in spring after interviewing.
- Am I going about this totally wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You’re schedule as you’ve laid it out so far sounds very similar to mine last year. I thought that radiology and anesthesia were great choices, as you can learn a lot of Surgery relevant things while still being super chill rotations that allow you to “be a fourth year” and catch up on sleep, hobbies, etc and just generally enjoy life before the grind of intern year.

As far as your second sub I, I never saw the point in doing a second, especially if it is after interview season and you don’t need it for letters. I would highly recommend a SICU elective instead, as the ICU is different enough from all other medicine and high acuity to be a very intimidating rotation for most new residents, and just a little bit of familiarity with things like vents, pressors, and lines can make things a lot less foreign and help you hit the ground running on your first SICU rotation of residency.

Reactions: 1 users
Do more surgery electives early on. Make sure you want it.

Reactions: 1 user