M4 schedule for general surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dares Dareson

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm trying to figure out my M4 schedule with general surgery in mind, but I am failing to find much guidance. Could you please help? My school has 2 required courses and 5 electives. I'll be taking Step 2 in July and starting M4 in August, when I plan to take a Sub-I.

1. Required Advanced Medicine
2. Required Advanced Surgery
3. Surgery Sub-I (in August so I can get LOR in time)
4. Research Elective (during interview season)
5. Anesthesia
6. Radiology
7. Second Surgery Sub-I or an elective in SICU, Trauma, Plastics, CT

My questions are:
- Is there any point in a second Sub-I? Or should I just do a surgery elective? Is a Sub-I even necessary?
- Are anesthesia/radiology good choices? Or should I do more surgery electives? I figure it doesn't matter because I'll be taking them in spring after interviewing.
- Am I going about this totally wrong?

Thanks in advance.
 
You’re schedule as you’ve laid it out so far sounds very similar to mine last year. I thought that radiology and anesthesia were great choices, as you can learn a lot of Surgery relevant things while still being super chill rotations that allow you to “be a fourth year” and catch up on sleep, hobbies, etc and just generally enjoy life before the grind of intern year.

As far as your second sub I, I never saw the point in doing a second, especially if it is after interview season and you don’t need it for letters. I would highly recommend a SICU elective instead, as the ICU is different enough from all other medicine and high acuity to be a very intimidating rotation for most new residents, and just a little bit of familiarity with things like vents, pressors, and lines can make things a lot less foreign and help you hit the ground running on your first SICU rotation of residency.