• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

M4 scheduling Problem

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2001
    Hey guys,

I'm kind of in a tough situation here. I attend a school with no EM program. My plan was to do a quick 2 week EM elective at my community hospital to get my feet wet, and then do 2 other away rotations at hospitals with an EM program. I was just recently told by an M4 that this is a big "no no" because this will count as 3 EM rotations which isn't looked highly upon and that PDs would think Im not well rounded etc.

this sucks because I was looking forward to getting some exposure to EM beforehand so I can impress the folks at my aways and at the same time get a LOR from a doc who happens to be somewhat well known in the city i'm applying to.

what should I do? is what he's saying true?
    Help!! :confused: :scared:

kungfufishing

7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 7, 2003
    1. Attending Physician
      I dont think that sounds like too many. One to figure out if you like it and then two aways? pretty typical, especially if you have no home EM program.
      Is this M4 nicknamed "Fatty McFattypants"?

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Jun 26, 2001
        kungfufishing said:
        I dont think that sounds like too many. One to figure out if you like it and then two aways? pretty typical, especially if you have no home EM program.
        Is this M4 nicknamed "Fatty McFattypants"?

how many EM months have have other posters on this board done in the past?

About the Ads

spyderdoc

Moderator Emeritus
        Lifetime Donor
        Verified Expert
        15+ Year Member
        Jul 30, 2002
        SF Bay Area
        1. Attending Physician
          realruby2000 said:
          how many EM months have have other posters on this board done in the past?

I did 4 EM rotations. One at Maricopa. One at Killer King. One at POH (just to see what a DO EM program was all about). One pedi EM at UC Irvine.

I still matched high on my list in '98....

Mark

dlung

Postprelim intern oranges
          10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Jun 10, 2004
          1. Fellow [Any Field]
            I did three+. One as a 3rd year Surgery elective at my home school, and two aways. Even after that I picked up a handful of shifts at the in-town program.

Dr. Cowboy

7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Apr 13, 2003
            Oklahoma
              I was in the same situation of not having a residency program at my home school last year. I did 4 EM rotations (a 2week at home which counted as 1 of 5 controlled "selectives" required at my school, 2 away rotations of 1 month each, and a combined Peds/Peds EM at home which counted as a Peds rotation). No comment was made during interviews about that being too many and it didn't exceed my schools limit of 2 months of a specialty during 4th year.

D

deleted52758

i am a student at a school that has it's own residency. i did two rotations. no EM experience before the first rotation. I dont think it's necessary to do that two week mini rotation before hand... just do what everyone on the FAQ tells u.. work hard, be enthusiastic, read on your cases, and you'll do great..

About the Ads
                This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.