MA Columbia Teachers College Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentintraining

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about the program? What professors to take and avoid? Do they have a wide variety of classes to choose from? Are there any TA opportunities? Is the tuition worth it? I eventually want to get PhD in Clinical Psych. TIA

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard a lot of mixed things. I did the Columbia postbac in the psych department, but I didn't have a BA in psych going into things. What's the goal in getting a fee-based masters first? I feel like there are a few programs out there with funded masters--not many, though.

Several members of my cohort went to TC, and their reviews were mixed. Their main criticism was that they didn't get the research exposure they had hoped for. Everyone in the NY area also knows that TC =/= Columbia, and you are saddling yourself with a lot of debt when there are quality options available for much less (e.g. A master's at CUNY will be around $15k). That being said, the TC folks were well-represented in my class and the one above ours, so it may help you as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well put. You can get that research experience at CUMC but you've got to work for those connections.

I graduated from TC last May. I have mixed feelings about this program mainly because of the debt that I am in because of it. When I entered this program, I was not really aware of the other options that I could have done such as just being a full-time research assistant. I would not say that I regret going to TC because the experiences I had were amazing and at the end of the day, I am not really sure if I would be where I am now if it were not for that program. I ended up applying to 7 doctoral programs in clinical psychology, and I ended up getting 5 interviews. I received 2 offers, and I am in my first year in a program now. Everybody's experience is different, and it is what you make of your time there. I know several people in my program at TC who did not get any interviews. There is also a girl in my cohort now who almost went to TC but she ended up accepting a research assistant position in Chicago. So with that being said, going to TC is not a make-it or break-it situation. If I am being totally honest and could do it all over again, I would have found a research assistant position instead of spending thousands of dollars on getting a MA from TC. I also agree with the above post about not getting the research exposure that I was hoping for. Feel free to PM if you want to know more or have any other questions.

I cannot speak to the program you asking about, however, I can speak to the pros/cons of a terminal masters degree more generally. I think the terminal MA is a good bet for people from colleges/universities that have low rates of their students getting into PhD/PsyD programs. However, scoping out the right programs based on your interest, the cost, and gnd opportunity for mentorship can be time consuming because there so many. There are a handful of MA/MS programs that provide funding for their students, which is tied to TA/RA positions, and virtually ensures you will receive research experience w/ possible opportunities to publish. Along those lines, completing a MA/MS thesis, posters, presentations, and coursework w/ good recs and stats will make you a strong applicant - it shows you can hack graduate work and your are committed. If possible, I think these types of programs are good stepping stones. I think you just need to be careful about the program and the opportunities it will offer as they relate to your goals. Conversely, most people I know when the full-time RA route 1-2 years, and had good success. I think this is financially safer and less complex to pursue - no tuition, classes, thesis, or unanticipated delays impeding graduation. It offers a great alternative that also demonstrates commitment, allowing you can learn the ropes, get paid instead of accumulating debt, opportunities for posters/papers. and can lead to strong letters of rec depending on the lab and your contributions. That my 0.2....good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I went to a large research university and got a lot of great UG research experience and completed a UG thesis. I've spent the last few years working for a private practice and as a research assistant, and I'm now getting ready to start a clinical PhD program. My UG GPA was roughly a 3.5, and it hasn't seemed to impede my chances. I think I would have considered pursuing an MA instead of an RA position if my UG GPA had been significantly lower (~3.0) AND if I had limited UG research experience.

I went to a large research university and got a lot of great UG research experience and completed a UG thesis. I've spent the last few years working for a private practice and as a research assistant, and I'm now getting ready to start a clinical PhD program. My UG GPA was roughly a 3.5, and it hasn't seemed to impede my chances. I think I would have considered pursuing an MA instead of an RA position if my UG GPA had been significantly lower (~3.0) AND if I had limited UG research experience.

Congrats Briarcliff on the acceptance. I agree with you, that decision to choose a terminal MA makes sense if/when your undergraduate stats are a potential impediment.

Teachers College is the Graduate school of education for Columbia. So....yes, it IS Columbia.

That's like saying Mailman School of Public Health =/= Columbia.

I guess maybe Harvard School of Medicine isn't actually part of Harvard either?

I'd like to hear more about people's experiences (especially if recent) on Columbia's MA for counseling psychology...

A more specific post for students in Columbia's MA:

Was it easy to join a lab?
How diverse was your cohort? (And how big was it?)
Did the program help cohorts bond?
What were job prospects after you finished the program? Or, did this program prepare you for the phd?
And anything else you want to share. Thanks! :)

A more specific post for students in Columbia's MA:

Was it easy to join a lab?
How diverse was your cohort? (And how big was it?)
Did the program help cohorts bond?
What were job prospects after you finished the program? Or, did this program prepare you for the phd?
And anything else you want to share. Thanks! :)

1) It was not easy joining a lab. I joined 3 labs off the bat to try to get involved as quickly as possible. 2 labs I ended up falling out of (it was a big group of people; tasks and responsibilities didn't get handed out well; felt invisible, etc.) but 1 lab was an incredible experience. This lab was contracted out to administer Woodcock Johnson tests to children in the community so I got a ton of assessment experience and hours, and a great recommendation letter. I already had research experience from undergrad, but working in this lab for a year at TC was a HUGE benefit to my PhD applications. This is not a guarantee though...
2) Cohort was pretty diverse but also pretty big (at least 50 I think). Classes ranged from 15-50 people (but bigger classes had mixed disciplines).
3) I bonded with a small group of students and we are still friends today 4 years later. I commuted in and out of the city, though, so I probably had a different experience in terms of bonding than people living in the city.
4) I ended up in a fully funded PhD program. A lot of my friends from the program ended up in PhD programs, but not all. Those that didn't went onto research positions and a few even ended up teaching at local colleges. My current mentor told me that TC was a big boost to my application BUT I had gaps in my application that TC nicely filled. This won't be the case for everyone, and it's certainly not a guarantee. You really need to way the pros and cons (especially the cost) and how/if TC can fill in your educational/training/research gaps.

Hope this helps!