MA to DO...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biocmp

I'm a computer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a few quick questions, since it seems people like to answer questions on here, unlike some of the other forums I have frequented. I have a poor undergraduate GPA, probably will graduate in three semesters with a 2.9-3.0. I am planning on going to do a little research and learn more in nutritional biochemistry at either University of Illinois or University of Texas- Austin. I am doing this because ultimately I want to work with athletes and help design nutritional supplements to aid in exercise recovery and to help boost physical performance. Of course this is what I want to do on the side of operating a Sports Medicine clinic, that would still serve the general population, but would be mostly cater to athletes in the area.

Now I am going to do everything I know to do to get in. I am in the process of shadowing and I will be studying for the MCAT over next summer just before I graduate. So I can take it in the spring before matriculation into the masters program. Assuming I do well in my post-bacc classes, can I hope that those extra two years will at least divert some of the attention from my poor undergrad work? And does what I am planning on doing right now, sound like a reasonable approach toward my goal?

Basically I am trying to waste as little time as possible now that I have truly found what I want to do. Any info or stories of other successes would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

biocmp said:
Just a few quick questions, since it seems people like to answer questions on here, unlike some of the other forums I have frequented. I have a poor undergraduate GPA, probably will graduate in three semesters with a 2.9-3.0. I am planning on going to do a little research and learn more in nutritional biochemistry at either University of Illinois or University of Texas- Austin. I am doing this because ultimately I want to work with athletes and help design nutritional supplements to aid in exercise recovery and to help boost physical performance. Of course this is what I want to do on the side of operating a Sports Medicine clinic, that would still serve the general population, but would be mostly cater to athletes in the area.

Now I am going to do everything I know to do to get in. I am in the process of shadowing and I will be studying for the MCAT over next summer just before I graduate. So I can take it in the spring before matriculation into the masters program. Assuming I do well in my post-bacc classes, can I hope that those extra two years will at least divert some of the attention from my poor undergrad work? And does what I am planning on doing right now, sound like a reasonable approach toward my goal?

Basically I am trying to waste as little time as possible now that I have truly found what I want to do. Any info or stories of other successes would be great.

It is unclear from your post what you are asking. If you are going to do a postbac, then that GPA will be considered with your undergrad GPA as raising your cumulative undergrad GPA. A masters program, by contrast, is graduate and does not get figured in with the undergrad GPA. (I'm assuming that DO does it the same way as allo). It will be considered a positive factor, but won't generally overshadow past grades. If you are going to retake any prereq classes or upper level sciences in the postbac, or masters program, it may benefit you to wait on the MCAT until you have more under your belt. Also the MCAT has a finite life (3 years I think), so if you end up taking that long in postbac/masters you will need to retake it if you take it now.

Law2Doc said:
It is unclear from your post what you are asking. If you are going to do a postbac, then that GPA will be considered with your undergrad GPA as raising your cumulative undergrad GPA. A masters program, by contrast, is graduate and does not get figured in with the undergrad GPA. (I'm assuming that DO does it the same way as allo). It will be considered a positive factor, but won't generally overshadow past grades. If you are going to retake any prereq classes or upper level sciences in the postbac, or masters program, it may benefit you to wait on the MCAT until you have more under your belt. Also the MCAT has a finite life (3 years I think), so if you end up taking that long in postbac/masters you will need to retake it if you take it now.

Hi there,
For allopathic, post-bacc grades are figured as post-bacc and will not raise the undergraduate GPA. Everything taken after graduation from your first bachelors degree and outside of a formal graduate program will be calculated as post-bacc and has a separate GPA posted.

DO will average grades of courses that are re-taken and thus your undergraduate GPA will be higher.

You might also look into the Special Non-thesis Masters at Georgetown (expensive) but one year and the top grads are automatically admitted to GT medical school. It's short and it gets you where you want to be.

njbmd :)

Members don't see this ad :)
njbmd said:
Hi there,
For allopathic, post-bacc grades are figured as post-bacc and will not raise the undergraduate GPA. Everything taken after graduation from your first bachelors degree and outside of a formal graduate program will be calculated as post-bacc and has a separate GPA posted.

DO will average grades of courses that are re-taken and thus your undergraduate GPA will be higher.

You might also look into the Special Non-thesis Masters at Georgetown (expensive) but one year and the top grads are automatically admitted to GT medical school. It's short and it gets you where you want to be.

Your statement is not entirely accurate, at least in terms of grade rehabilitation for allopathic schools. While there is a separate section for postbac grades and they are seen separately on AMCAS, the cumulative undergrad GPA includes nongraduate postbac grades - i.e. there is a total nongraduate GPA. This is the number that allopathic schools usually indicate that they will focus on as your "undergrad GPA". (meaning all non-graduate courses), and is what enables someone to "raise" their GPA with a postbac, as many have done to get into med school. Thus someone who has a low undergrad GPA can "improve" this stat by taking and retaking sciences courses in a postbac program. The key difference between allo and osteo schools here is that the former averages retakes while the latter supplants them. Graduate courses are treated and looked at differently, and thus for those with lower GPAs, the special master (which is graduate) doesn't work, and is why schools like G-town require a certain undergrad GPA to get in in the first place (which, by the way, can be attained by "raising" your undergrad GPA with postbac study if necessary). I think you are viewing how med schools look at postbacs for the non-GPA rehab type applicant, and not the converse. Perhaps you have come across med schools that look at those numbers separately and make it impossible to "raise" the undergrad GPA with further study but from my experience, I doubt most do.

Law2Doc said:
Your statement is not entirely accurate, at least in terms of grade rehabilitation for allopathic schools. While there is a separate section for postbac grades and they are seen separately on AMCAS, the cumulative undergrad GPA includes nongraduate postbac grades - i.e. there is a total nongraduate GPA. This is the number that allopathic schools usually indicate that they will focus on as your "undergrad GPA". (meaning all non-graduate courses), and is what enables someone to "raise" their GPA with a postbac, as many have done to get into med school. Thus someone who has a low undergrad GPA can "improve" this stat by taking and retaking sciences courses in a postbac program. The key difference between allo and osteo schools here is that the former averages retakes while the latter supplants them. Graduate courses are treated and looked at differently, and thus for those with lower GPAs, the special master (which is graduate) doesn't work, and is why schools like G-town require a certain undergrad GPA to get in in the first place (which, by the way, can be attained by "raising" your undergrad GPA with postbac study if necessary). I think you are viewing how med schools look at postbacs for the non-GPA rehab type applicant, and not the converse. Perhaps you have come across med schools that look at those numbers separately and make it impossible to "raise" the undergrad GPA with further study but from my experience, I doubt most do.

Hi there,
Just looking at the 3,000 or so AMCAS applications that have come across my desk in seven years of working on the admissions committee of a medical school.
Cheers!

njbmd said:
Hi there,
Just looking at the 3,000 or so AMCAS applications that have come across my desk in seven years of working on the admissions committee of a medical school.
Cheers!

I've spoken to adcom types at other schools who have indicated undergrad GPA/postbac GPA treatment policies different than what you have posted, and suspect they have gone through a similar number of applications in their similarly lengthy tenures. Not sure if you represent the norm or they do, but I've got to go with the ones I've met in real life. Cheers yourself! :)

biocmp said:

I was in a similar position about three years ago. MDapplicants profile (link below) should give you hope. Cheerio!

I read your bio. And I just want to say thanks for showing it can be done. I want to go to loyola more than anything just from what I have heard from every student who goes there. I said DO so people would take me seriously, since I have a poor undergrad record thus far. I would like to go to ccom as well, but loyola is my driving force. THanks for the help everyone. Feel free to post more.