MA versus MS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lilyjunior

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a 2nd year PhD student in mech/aerospace engineering planning to apply to med school in the next application cycle. For this reason, I am thinking of leaving with a masters degree after the fall semester (that is, it means I will have spent 2 and half years in graduate school). I have already been awarded the Master of Arts degree in June (the MA in our school is awarded to anyone in the PhD program who passed the qualifying exam). And the primary reason I am staying next semester is because I need to take the biochemistry requirement to apply. Our school also awards the Master of Science degree for those who haven't been awarded the MA and write a thesis. Given that I have done enough research to write a masters of science thesis, I feel like it might be better if I push to ask to get the MS and see if our department can make an exception.

First question is how much difference would it make to get an MS as opposed to leaving with the MA in my situation?

Second question: I am technically allowed to stay next semester bc i am still in the phd program. If they don't allow me to do the MS, I am terminating my phd enrollment next semester. And my transcript will show an extra semester after the MA was awarded. And I am worried it might perhaps raise a question on commitment and not finishing what I started. How much worried should I be about this??

Undergrad major: Mechanical engineering/Aerospace eng minor from T30

sGPA: 3.87, cGPA: 3.88

grad GPA: 3.87 from an Ivy (again in Mech and aerospace eng)

Haven't taken the MCAT yet

Plenty of shadowing experiences, around 2 years of research experience, a reasonable amount of non clinical volunteering, not so many clincial experiences yet. I am thinking of starting a clinical job in January.

Last question, will an MCAT score of 518 be good enough to apply to T10 schools?

Thank you in advance!!!

@Goro

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, a 518 will be fine for the top schools. But you should be focusing on getting into a medical school, not merely the top schools.

60% of all applicants fail to get into medical school.

MA or MS, it doesn't matter

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the reply. And also I am an international student planning to apply broadly to all the schools that matriculate internationals. Given my stats, how likely do you think I can atleast get an interview?

Thank you.

@Goro

Yes, a 518 will be fine for the top schools. But you should be focusing on getting into a medical school, not merely the top schools.

60% of all applicants fail to get into medical school.

MA or MS, it doesn't matter

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply. And also I am an international student planning to apply broadly to all the schools that matriculate internationals. Given my stats, how likely do you think I can atleast get an interview?

Thank you.

@Goro
Come back when you have an MCAT score. We don't do hypotheticals.

@Goro

How much concerned should I be about having voluntarily withdrawn written from the phd on my transcript? Esp given I am an international student.

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

@Goro

How much concerned should I be about having voluntarily withdrawn written from the phd on my transcript? Esp given I am an international student.

Thank you in advance for your guidance.
You will need to articulate why PhD was not for you, but Medicine is. The biggest concern we have is that you'll bail on med school like you did with PhD. However, you path is not automatically lethal.

You will need to articulate why PhD was not for you, but Medicine is. The biggest concern we have is that you'll bail on med school like you did with PhD. However, you path is not automatically lethal.

@Goro

Would you recommend sticking and finishing the phd (it will most probably take me 5 years to do so) or leave next semester (which as I described above will be 2 and half years of graduate school)?

Please let me know your opinion. Thank you.

@Goro

Would you recommend sticking and finishing the phd (it will most probably take me 5 years to do so) or leave next semester (which as I described above will be 2 and half years of graduate school)?

Please let me know your opinion. Thank you.
Can you stand to do more grad school???

@Goro

To be honest, I am no longer interested in finishing the PhD. However, if the sacrifice is necessary, I am open to considering finishing it.
There is no need tormenting yourself over this. Finish with the master and build up your ECs to show that Medicine is your true calling.

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro

I need your help on one thing please. So I have Organic chemistry 2 and Biochemistry course requirements I didn't take to apply to med schools and I was wondering if you know any programs that enroll students to just complete these two classes?

As mentioned above, I got my masters in June and I am now thinking of leaving soon rather than waiting a semester for visa reasons.

Thank you!

@Goro

I need your help on one thing please. So I have Organic chemistry 2 and Biochemistry course requirements I didn't take to apply to med schools and I was wondering if you know any programs that enroll students to just complete these two classes?

As mentioned above, I got my masters in June and I am now thinking of leaving soon rather than waiting a semester for visa reasons.

Thank you!
Sorry, no