MA vs Medical Scribe: which one is better for clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmssjj

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two options for my gap year jobs. I am studying for my MCAT and planning on take it next February, thus both of the jobs are part time.

MA job: This job is at a private ob/gyn doctor’s office. As a medical assistant, my role would be chaperoning the patient to the exam room, preparing the exam room, and being present and assisting doctor in the exam room during procedures like pap smear and others. Additionally, I would be in front desk duty for once a week where I would be making appointments, sending lab order etc. It is a part time 20 hours a week job for a year. As it’s a very small office and me being the only MA, I would be able to develop good connection with the doc and get a good LOR. Though my school does committee letter and I don’t know how relevant clinical LoR in this case.

Scribe Job: 32 hours a week but will be doing this job for 6 months and quit to better prepare for MCAT. It is an internal medicine outpatient practice for a NYC hospital under scribe america. Probably, won’t be able to secure a doctor LOR due to not staying till i apply for medical school next 2025-2026 cycle.
For the context, I have 80 hour emergency room volunteering experience so far for clinical experience. I am studying for the MCAT and also doing non clinical volunteering alongside the gap year job. I would highly appreciate if anyone could provide some guidance on which job would be better for clinical experience and also for my situation. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I third MA. And this sounds like an MA position that will give you valuable experience with patients in sensitive, vulnerable encounters. Pay close attention to how the physicians and staff talk to and interact with patients during these encounters. Learning certain ways of phrasing (or not phrasing) things during these encounters will serve you well.

I was an MA before medical school and it gave me a baseline level of comfort with conversing with patients, and while I'm far from perfect, some of my classmates who scribed without ever having to talk to a patient are awkward af. They're probably ahead of me in terms of writing notes and may have some technical knowledge that I don't have, but I would argue skills related to talking to patients are more valuable. Medical school will teach you the clinical knowledge that you need, so you don't need to worry about "getting ahead" as a premed.

That said, I was never a scribe and am biased towards MA. Plenty of people scribe and have valuable experiences from that, and I don't think that picking the scribe job would be wrong depending on the circumstances. Best of luck with your new job and the MCAT!

Reactions: 2 users
If the only reason you are doing either of these is for a letter you are doing it for the wrong reasons. You really don’t need a doc letter for most schools.
That being said, you seem more excited about the MA opportunity and with good reason. So much to see and do. So many opportunities to work with patients, put them at ease, work with doctors etc. Go with the MA job.
Good luck on the MCAT.

If the only reason you are doing either of these is for a letter you are doing it for the wrong reasons.
I want to strongly second this. Do the job that will get you the better clinical experience, especially since you're pretty low on hours.

Letters from clinicians aren't generally that useful or necessary in the process.

Reactions: 1 users
I’d love to consider work as an MA if I have to take a gap year. Do I need to train to become an MA? Also, are male MAs less competitive than females? There’s a clinic nearby but they’re only hiring female MAs AND Spanish-speaking. My Spanish is like a pigeon talking. Lol.
What direct patient care job don’t require training or one where I can start working even just part-time?

I’d love to consider work as an MA if I have to take a gap year. Do I need to train to become an MA? Also, are male MAs less competitive than females? There’s a clinic nearby but they’re only hiring female MAs AND Spanish-speaking. My Spanish is like a pigeon talking. Lol.
What direct patient care job don’t require training or one where I can start working even just part-time?
Some places require certified MA's, some places just train you on the job. Will need to check specific listings to know which ones are which. As far as gendered discrimination for hiring, that's generally frowned upon. Have known and met many male MA's, the clinic nearby may only be hiring Spanish-speakers as that's often the only way to communicate with their patient population. As far as the current predominance of female staff, I wouldn't try to speculate on intent in that matter.