Mac users

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyesee123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has any Mac users had trouble with OptomCAS? I am using Safari and asked OptomCAS if this is ok and they said it should be fine. However, I noticed that when I go back and check what I have entered some of the symbols change. The ' change to ?

Does anyone else have this problem? I will change the ? to ' and then a day later I'll check and it has reverted back to ?

I am a fairly new mac user so I don't know if I have to download and use something other than Safari. I haven't had trouble using Safari with anything else.

Members don't see this ad.

it's been a while since i submitted my optomcas but i did it on my mac. i would suggest trying firefox for mac instead of safari if you are having any trouble with safari.

hope that helped.

it's been a while since i submitted my optomcas but i did it on my mac. i would suggest trying firefox for mac instead of safari if you are having any trouble with safari.

hope that helped.

I agree with this, I used firefox on my mac and had no issues with any symbols :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much! Excuse my ignorance (like I said I am a fairly new mac user), if I download firefox from here http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/internet_utilities/mozillafirefox.html

Will I just be able to sign into my OptomCAS account and just fix all the symbols once and then that should solve the problem? I wouldn't have to re-enter everything right?

Is firefox conducive to working on a mac in general? Part of the reason I bought a mac was to not get viruses, etc. That is why I have been hesitant to use anything else besides Safari since that was what recommended to use.

Thank you very much! Excuse my ignorance (like I said I am a fairly new mac user), if I download firefox from here http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/internet_utilities/mozillafirefox.html

Will I just be able to sign into my OptomCAS account and just fix all the symbols once and then that should solve the problem? I wouldn't have to re-enter everything right?

Is firefox conducive to working on a mac in general? Part of the reason I bought a mac was to not get viruses, etc. That is why I have been hesitant to use anything else besides Safari since that was what recommended to use.

you should just be able to login and fix everything.

you'll be fine using firefox. it's a better browser than safari for certain things.

just wanted to throw my experience in the thread for future readers.

i am on a mac using chrome, no problems when using optomcas.

Thanks! I downloaded firefox and when I checked some of my entered stuff some of the " changed to ? still even after fixing it.

So it must have not been a Safari thing?

Now I am thinking it could possibly be the way I way I entered my extracurriculars, etc. I typed up everything in Microsoft Office (Word) for Mac and then just copied/pasted it into the description boxes. I verified everything, saved it. Then when I re-checked it some of the " and ' changed to ?

Then I fixed them directly in OptomCAS and saved it. This is what I don't understand because even after fixing it directly in OptomCAS when I checked it like a day later they automatically changed some of the " and ' to ?

I guess I am just going to have to change my wording so I don't have to use any of those symbols. It's kind of odd I am having this problem.

dont use word, use either textedit or some notepad like program. that way formatting wont be an issue.

see if that fixed the issue?

I actually had the same issue, but I have a windows pc though and use firefox. The ?'s only appear in the additional answer section, not in the essay question section, which I thought was odd, especially because I used the same formatting for both. I never figured out how to get rid of them though.