Macbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSUkid

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of macbook do you have? I want the macbook air because its SLEEEK like tooth knockns hair. What do you guys use, I never had a laptop and I need to invest in one for academics and dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I got the newest version of the Macbook Pro w/o retina display. It was worth every penny.

Reactions: 1 user
What kind of macbook do you have? I want the macbook air because its SLEEEK like tooth knockns hair. What do you guys use, I never had a laptop and I need to invest in one for academics and dental school.

lol

And

Omg

I do have nice sleek hair.... And I have a Mac air 11incher.....

Try to wait to buy one... Maybe the next Mac will have touch screen.... ?!!

That would be a game changer!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited:
lol

And

Omg

I do have nice sleek hair.... And I have a Mac air 11incher.....

Try to wait to buy one... Maybe the next Mac will have touch screen.... ?!!

That would be a game changer!
11inch kind of small for your teddy bear paws, are they not? But I want the 13 inch its bigger. Plus its like 12 hour battery life so very useful compared to 11 inch which only has 9 hours. I dont need it for retina I have a monster PC at home that takes care of that side, I just need it for academics and taking it to school, which is why im swaying towards the macbook air

Last edited:

Last edited by a moderator:
Never liked the air...too thin. I like the feel of the macbook pro :)
I see, well Im gonna feel them when I go the apple store. I just like how its thin really , plus a little cheaper. How much is the macbook pro without retina?, I know with retina its about 1300$

I have the 2012 13" MacBook Pro. Love it, it's never given me any problems
My brother has a 2008 macbook, so Im sure it doesnt have much problems.

I see, well Im gonna feel them when I go the apple store. I just like how its thin really , plus a little cheaper. How much is the macbook pro without retina?, I know with retina its about 1300$

I bought the 15 inch for 1700

MacBook Pro 13" w/ Retina display. I like much better than the Air!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't really like the speakers on the sides of the keyboard on the 15"..oh yeah...and the price
I feelya the price is steep, but I originally had a 17 inch laptop, and the 13 inch seemed too small for me...then again its a couple extra hundred dollars for 2 inches

For laptop/computer purposes: Windows (might I suggest one from the Lenovo line)
For mobile purposes: iPhone.

You're hampering yourself otherwise.

Im using the new Apple Surface Pro 3

YfUSYad.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I've had the air and now I have the pro. My air had a tendency to overheat bc it doesn't have as much ram compared to the pro. Plus the pro typically has a longer battery length, more storage, etc. Air is more of a laptop to bull**** around if you want it for schoolwork etc go with the pro.

I had a 15 inch Pro with retina and I didn't like how heavy it was, so I gave that to my husband and bought a 13 inch Pro with retina display.

I've had the air and now I have the pro. My air had a tendency to overheat bc it doesn't have as much ram compared to the pro. Plus the pro typically has a longer battery length, more storage, etc. Air is more of a laptop to bull**** around if you want it for schoolwork etc go with the pro.
I haven't had that experience. My classmates with Air's have a better battery life than I do on my Pro. But it's not a big deal as all of our lecture halls have a outlet in each seat.

I'm using a macbook pro 2011 to try and save some money atm, with an SSD and 8gigs of ram. We'll see how it goes.

Actually the air has more battery life than the pro. Thats the whole reason people buy the air, it has 12 hours of life for 13in and 9 hours for 11in. IDK how your isnt like that

I had a 2011 13" Air until two weeks ago when I got a new 13" Pro Retina....honestly I liked my air better...the weight and size is similar on paper, but in real life I can definitely tell a difference. I wouldn't waste my money on a non-retina pro though, they are just a rebranded regular macbook. Nothing you really do in school would require the power of a pro retina, I only got this one because it was free through my military scholarship. Performance is identical but the noticeably extra weight and thickness is disappointing. When I graduate in 3 years and have to give this one up I'm going straight back to an air unless the pro retinas cut some fat out.

I had a 2011 13" Air until two weeks ago when I got a new 13" Pro Retina....honestly I liked my air better...the weight and size is similar on paper, but in real life I can definitely tell a difference. I wouldn't waste my money on a non-retina pro though, they are just a rebranded regular macbook. Nothing you really do in school would require the power of a pro retina, I only got this one because it was free through my military scholarship. Performance is identical but the noticeably extra weight and thickness is disappointing. When I graduate in 3 years and have to give this one up I'm going straight back to an air unless the pro retinas cut some fat out.
Wow, I see then Im gonna for for the 2015 13inch air. But yea the macbook pro without retina is pretty eh.

Wow, I see then Im gonna for for the 2015 13inch air. But yea the macbook pro without retina is pretty eh.

Get the 11 inch it is so light and mobile, it is like the size of a composition notebook, and thinner....

Get a few low priced eBay accessories, like wireless mouse, and shell to cover the Mac.

I mean go see which one you like most, that's just my opinion. I just feel that for dental school you are just paying $200 extra for added mass and performance that isn't needed. I just haven't really noticed one advantage about my pro retina vs my last air. Also there are a couple people in our class the have the 11" screen, but I don't see how they use it. I feel like it would strain my eyes too much. Again you just have to see them side by side.

Get the 11 inch it is so light and mobile, it is like the size of a composition notebook, and thinner....

Get a few low priced eBay accessories, like wireless mouse, and shell to cover the Mac.
11 inch seems pretty small. I'll gladly pay 100$ more for 2 inches. I know you have the 11inch, and you want to me to join the 11inch club, but I kindly decline. Plus is the 11inch not a bit small for your teddy bear paws?? IDK Im going feel them out at the apple store. I will take heed of your words teddy bear.

Can you guys imagine a macbook air with retina... I would pay good amounts of money for that.

I have a 13" air am pretty satisfied with it so far. I've had mine for three years and the battery needs to finally be replaced, which isn't that surprising since I'm on my laptop all the time. The only issue I've noticed is the screen real estate, but that can be fixed by investing in a monitor to hook it up to when you are at home. For my next laptop I will probably switch to a PC, because I can't really justify paying an arm and a leg for something that I can get for half the price.

Can you guys imagine a macbook air with retina... I would pay good amounts of money for that.

They came out with a macbook air retina back in april, I thought about getting it but couldn't go down to the 12" screen. I don't know why they didn't just offer it in the 13".

They came out with a macbook air retina back in april, I thought about getting it but couldn't go down to the 12" screen. I don't know why they didn't just offer it in the 13".
No thats the macbook 2015. Thats not the macbook air, its just a regular macbook but it has retina and comes in 3 different colors. I heard it sucks though

If not give me a link

11 inch seems pretty small. I'll gladly pay 100$ more for 2 inches. I know you have the 11inch, and you want to me to join the 11inch club, but I kindly decline. Plus is the 11inch not a bit small for your teddy bear paws?? IDK Im going feel them out at the apple store. I will take heed of your words teddy bear.

You are funny....

Yea it might appear too small, but that is the best part, it does not get in the way, and allows more space on your study area for papers books and writing....

You are funny....

Yea it might appear too small, but that is the best part, it does not get in the way, and allows more space on your study area for papers books and writing....
You know what they say people that get the 11inches, have a small..

You know what they say people that get the 11inches, have a small..

Tell your girl stop lying.. And to call me back...

I like to take all my notes on a laptop, and I have a MacBook air 2011. It is getting old, and it would be about 5-6 years old by the time I get into dental school.
Do you think Surface Pro 3 is beneficial for dental school? I am not sure how often I will be "drawing" anything using OneNote.

I might be biased about this but 128GB i5 SP3 costs about the same price as the cheapest macbook air which is also 128GB. The SP3 keyboard doesn't feel right for me since it looks flimsy and the rubberized kind of touch makes me think how bad it would look if it wears out. But the SP3 itself is pretty solid in terms of what it can do. Though if I were to handwrite anything, I feel that I can do it just fine on paper. My macbook air does feel light for a laptop and the battery is very decent, and I'm terrible at Windows and its maintenance so I just don't think SP3 would work well for me personally.

I will reward myself with whatever the latest surface pro out there when I get in dental school.

TOUCHSCREEN TOO, that's pretty slick man.

But really, it changed my academic life.

But honestly, I am seriously impressed at how it has been keeping up.

Been using this thing for about 2.5 months, 9-10 hrs a day intensive note-taking/studying. Havent had it choked on me yet. Everybody want a copy of my notes.

I have a 13" pro with retina display... with wifi on and screen brightness adjusted my battery is out in 4-6 hours depending on how much crap I have running.

Also, when I move I always hope that the new dental professionals and OBs who do my exams and stuff have small hands.

Just came home from the apple store, man I gotta say the macbook air 11inches seemed so much better than the 13in air. First of all it actually felt thin and light.
Then I compared both side by side by going to wikipedia articles and NY times, and I gotta say my eyes felt more focused when reading the 11inch screen as opposed to the 13 inch. IDK if the 13 inch screen just confuses your brain to thinking there is a lot more on the screen making you lose focus, but the 11inch everything felt as if I was 100% focused and read everything with ease.
I might be bias since I use an ipad all the time, and maybe my eyes have adapted to that sort of size, but I am kind of swaying towards the 11inch, plus its 100$ cheaper as well. Maybe my friend @tooth knockn was right for a change.

Also I am going to look into the surface pro 3, but I think it might be similar to my iPad..

Order from the apple site, and you can get $200 off and a free pair of beats ($200 value) using the student discount.

Order from the apple site, and you can get $200 off and a free pair of beats ($200 value) using the student discount.

This makes me want to break my slow computer and get a new one now lol

Student discount is only 50$ for air, and 100$ for macbook pro? If not send a link