Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not asking for medical advice, more so for CME.
I'm an ED doc, had a patient with a relatively large body habitus and pain on the soles of his feet. I can PM pics if anyone wants to see, but my diagnosis based on smell, appearance, and the stains on his socks is that it was likely maceration and skin breakdown from a combination of fungal infection and always wearing socks with probably sweaty feet.
He had been given nystatin ointment by wound care that he had been applying daily for several months without any improvement, and gradual worsening. I figured he needed to dry his feet out, but also needed something antifungal. So I ended up prescribing tolnoftate powder - which is something I dont think I've ever prescribed before, at least for nothing with open fungal wounds.
Again, I can PM pics if anyone would like to see, but wondering how you would normally treat something like this. Would clotrimazole or nystatin trap moisture? Is tolnaftate as potent as those two?
Thanks.
I'm an ED doc, had a patient with a relatively large body habitus and pain on the soles of his feet. I can PM pics if anyone wants to see, but my diagnosis based on smell, appearance, and the stains on his socks is that it was likely maceration and skin breakdown from a combination of fungal infection and always wearing socks with probably sweaty feet.
He had been given nystatin ointment by wound care that he had been applying daily for several months without any improvement, and gradual worsening. I figured he needed to dry his feet out, but also needed something antifungal. So I ended up prescribing tolnoftate powder - which is something I dont think I've ever prescribed before, at least for nothing with open fungal wounds.
Again, I can PM pics if anyone would like to see, but wondering how you would normally treat something like this. Would clotrimazole or nystatin trap moisture? Is tolnaftate as potent as those two?
Thanks.