1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Macs and Pocket PC PDAs

Discussion in 'Tech: Medical Apps, iOS, Android, medical devices' started by huh22, May 13, 2007.

1. huh22

huh22 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey everyone. another mac related question, and i apologize if this has been asked before (couldn't find anything under the search...)

but starting rotations and was going to get a pda/phone combo. most likely going to go with cingular, so choosing between a treo or the 8525. i really do not like the palm os, it just seems so ancient to me, and i'm doubtful that the new os is going to be released anytime soon. palm just seems like its dying. but i've been a faithful mac user for 5 years now and i'm not planning on switching back...

but is it possible to run the medical software for the pocket pc and sync it/install it with my mac? i know i will need to purchase something like The Missing Sync (www.markspace.com), but is this enough? i like to think i'm ok with the tech savvyness but i don't know jack about pdas. i was looking at epocrates and they don't have a mac compatible pocket pc version, only a mac compatbile palm version.

for all of you mac users out there, is there anyway i can get a non palm pda? if forced to, can i install things using virtualization software like parellels. or is it just not worth all the hassle and i should just get a treo?

thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    ePocrates does have a WinMob/Mac combo, but I can't vouch for it since I never used it. I posted a link in this forum a while back. Use the forum search feature to look for it.

4. Heeed!

Heeed! On target, On time!
    10+ Year Member

I've replied to some other posts re: this same issue. I've made several phone calls to Palm, ePocrates, Skyscape, and Apple Care tech support. Even after receiving the answer to this question from one tech support person, I called back later and spoke with someone else to verify I got the same answer. I have been told repeatedly that the Treo 680 is the only device that will sync with the Mac, ePocrates, & Skyscape. I've seen other posts to the contrary. I use the Treo 680 with the Mac, ePocrates, Skyscape, and I use The Missing Sync. I haven't had any problems.

5. Squizzy

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The MissingSync offers a utility to sync your PocketPC to a Mac - there's even some integration with the iApps (iTunes, iPhoto etc.).

6. huh22

huh22 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks everyone.

southerndoc, i tried searching for it but i can't find it. what search keywords should i use? i'm just getting a lot of posts from 2-3 years ago.

yah heeed!, i know that the 680 will work, and the missing sync for palm will fill in the gap, but just really not a big treo fan right now. if they really do end up releasing the new palm os sometime soon i'll definitely take a look at it. but have you been pretty happy w/ your 680? i'd really like wifi on it though.

squizzy, yah, i've heard lots of good things about the missing sync. i just wasn't sure if it would solve the problem of installing 3rd party apps. b/c for something like epocrates, the downloaded file is an .exe file which is not recognized by a mac. i've heard of ways to extract the .cab file from this .exe file and then using the missing sync to install it on the pocket pc device, but just wanted to see if anyone had any actual experience w/ it. i've posted on the markspace forum and no answers yet.

i've also heard of using activesync running virtual windows xp through parallels and it seems like there's a good amount of success when it comes to installing 3rd party apps that way, but again, haven't heard anything specifically about the medical pda stuff.

the gf is in the same situation as i am and has the same exact setup but needs something right now and is going to just go with a pocket pc. i'll let y'all know about her success when it comes to syncing and installing everything.

i'm just going to hold on for a little bit longer and see if any other options open up and play around w/ the gf's new toy. who knows, maybe those rumors that the iphone will be an open system to allow for 3rd party software really will come true. :D i'm pretty sure the medical community would be all over it if they did open it up.

7. Squizzy

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    PocketMac for the PocketPC seems good too. link

They have support for installation of .exe's as well.

[​IMG]