macs realistic in nyu dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HockeySmile

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ive had a pc my entire life and im ready to make the switch. i noticed in nyu's liturature that you can use mac books, but they must run windows. do nyu students still use the mac operating system or are they forced by some nyu applications to use the windows operating system? is it a hassel to use a mac book instead of a pc as an incoming D1 student?

also, as far as the pda, i would assume a blackberry is the best, but have students recently used an iphone instead?

thanks for the help
dave

Members don't see this ad.

but the Blackberry doesn't have Microsoft Operating System, does it? I thought the requirement for PDA is that it comes with Microsoft OS or some other stuff with Palm. I don't think iphone or blackberry is gonna work. here's the link:

http://www.nyu.edu/dental/compreq.html

You don't really need the microsoft operating system on your phone. It might be neccessary for the epocrates software in clinic, not sure and I don't know how many people use epocrates from their phones. Many students have macs (phones and computers) and blackberries/iphones.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have been a PC user and I am not sure how hard it will be get used to Mac OS. From what I have heard MAC os is supposedly better? Anyways, if you get macbook, you can boot both windows and Mac OS leopard or whatever it is called. So if some of the NYU programs dont run on mac OS, you are still good to go. Correct me if I am wrong. :thumbup:

I have been a PC user and I am not sure how hard it will be get used to Mac OS. From what I have heard MAC os is supposedly better? Anyways, if you get macbook, you can boot both windows and Mac OS leopard or whatever it is called. So if some of the NYU programs dont run on mac OS, you are still good to go. Correct me if I am wrong. :thumbup:

You do need to get your own copy of windows to install via bootcamp though. Even with student discount I doubt windows will be inexpensive.

Personally, I prefer Windows to Mac, maybe its the fact that I grew up with Windows, but its my preference and I haven't had any problems with Vista, which puts me in the vocal minority.

Mac OS X is a great OS, I've used it quite extensively in lab, but its pretty subjective to call it better than Windows. Just use the one you want to use.

As for putting Windows on Macs, yes you can, but as the poster above me said, you'll need a copy of Windows to use on installation. Using Parallels with XP is ridiculously cool.

ive had a pc my entire life and im ready to make the switch. i noticed in nyu's liturature that you can use mac books, but they must run windows. do nyu students still use the mac operating system or are they forced by some nyu applications to use the windows operating system? is it a hassel to use a mac book instead of a pc as an incoming D1 student?

also, as far as the pda, i would assume a blackberry is the best, but have students recently used an iphone instead?

thanks for the help
dave

LOTS of students in our class own macs. i recently switched also, and I know of many students who only bought a PC because they thought macs weren't accepted. PDA's weren't a big deal the first year and I don't think they'll be much needed till clinic where you need to run the epocrates program... but Iphone or blackberry, they all work the same.

I love my Mac. But it's a personal preference. You can run Windows for your Dental Anatomy atlas (or whatever other program you want) either via bootcamp which will come with your new macbook (but you need to shut down and reboot into windows any time you want to change) or buy a copy of parallels (which will allow you to run windows as a virtual machine without rebooting) but in either case you'll need to buy a copy of Windows. Through NYU this will run about $250.

My opinion on the PDA is that it is hugely unnecessary unless you want it for your own personal use. We don't use it for anything the first year and I don't think second year is any different. However, you will need it for epocrates (a useful pharm-lookup program) during clinics which currently only runs on Windows and Palm supported PDAs. So get whatever you want now, but if you get the blackberry you might need to change to something that will run epocrates before you enter clinics.