Mad at pharmacy manager, don't know what to do (*rant*)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NorthwestRph

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is my first job, I started working at a chain pharmacy 6 months ago and my pharmacy manager is driving me crazy. He's in his forties and I am much younger but I feel like I'm the adult and he's the kid. He is so lazy, he leaves untyped scripts for me all the time, and I know it's not because the tech was too busy but because he made her vacuum the store for 1/2 an hour before closing instead of typing 😡. He also always does gray illegal stuff, like giving someone 5 vicodin pills when the computer record shows the person already got all 10 vicodin pills from their prescription. My manager also gives expensive medicine like Enablex to a customer when it is refill too soon and he would take the copay amount from the customer, then he would bill insurance when it is soon enough and mark it as sold. He gets on everybody's nerves because he is so lazy he is always "passing the buck". The technicians and the store staff can't stand him. He spends hours on his cell phone. He constantly promises things but won't deliver. He won't check prescriptions until the techs pile up the baskets all the way up next to his computer. He NEVER helps out by typing prescriptions if there are long lines or lots of waiters.
Not only that, but on the day we overlap he leaves an hour early without telling me, then when I email him how come, he answers that because he has to be on the weekly conference call for managers, he considers that an "hour of work" so he leaves early. I believe he is scheduled until 4 and that corporate doesn't know he's leaving at 3 since we're salaried. And other pharmacists tell me the manager is always missing the conference call. He comes to work late and leaves early. When we overlap even if there's super long lines and I am super stressed out, he just walks out the door. Also when we overlap he just "disappears" and leaves me to do everything. Honestly it's like there's no overlap.
He constantly messes up the tech's schedules. Numerous times he completely ignores their handwritten notes on the bulletin board and he schedules them for the day they need off. Then when I call him he tells me it's my problem I have to fix it.
This pharmacy was doing well until he became the manager. And then we lost a lot of customers because we were one week behind. Then I got better and faster, I started coming early and leaving an hour late if necessary to catch up, and things got better but the customers didn't come back .
This manager is also really lazy when it comes to hiring techs. For example we have 6 techs, 4 are "A" techs and 2 are "B" techs who are training to be "A" techs. And yet we have two "A" techs scheduled as cashiers only but paid as "A" techs. The manager thinks its all right even though it hurts our budget and no one has enough hours. We don't need all those techs.
I don't know what to do. I like the techs, I like the pharmacy because it's not too busy or too slow, and I like the small city we're in.
I talk to him, but he always brushes off my concerns. Everything I say is just whatever. He has the power of glib, when he talks he's so smooth and when the district manager comes he can talk smooth and make jokes. I'm not like that I always get tongue tied when talking.
But I am getting so frustrated. And today I am venting because I am sick of people coming in and screaming at me how come their rx isn't ready they dropped it off yesterday (when he was working). I am tired of how rude he is and his lack of common courtesy. I am especially upset with how he dispenses controlled drugs without a proper prescription. He always bends backwards to please customers and he''s not firm with them the way I am. So he gives them early refills on their controlleds and then they get mad at me because I don't do the same!
What do I do? Right now I am just sucking it up. I don't want to rat out on him because I don't think that will help my career. I don't want to transfer. Because I am always hearing horror stories on this forum and when I go to other pharmacies I see with my own eyes how bad other places could be.
I just wanted to vent my frustration to someone who understands!
 
Yea that totally sucks. Unfortunately, most pharmacies have at least one of these douchebags.

I've worked in 6 pharmacies, and EVERY SINGLE ONE had at least 1 of those people. But when the stars align and that douchebag is on vacation or whatever, the pharmacy runs so smoothly!!
 
Thanks angryrx, that makes me feel better 🙂 I just don't understand, how can the corporations keep those pharmacists ?? ! Especially when they have so many choices. Oh well, there are lots of stuff corporate does that make my jaw fall to the floor.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
that sounds like a sucky situation.

Can peeps also chime in on how they deal with toxic personalities at work, the kind that are grossly socially inept and can be quite annoying. We have two at my place that everyone loves to hate.

I simply ignore them, what do you guys do?
 
Report this lazy bastard to your DM. He will probably be more than happy since it will give him a reason to replace him with a low salary new grad. History favors the bold and brave.
 
If he's buddies with the DM, reporting him to the DM probably won't help because your manager may turn it around to make you look bad. Does your company have a confidential hotline to report insurance fraud/stealing concerns? Bear in mind, that those numbers aren't totally confidential, but I would think you will have better luck going through the confidential hotline, than your DM. I would also look at the situation, how long has your manager been there and what are the chances that he will leave or transfer? If you think he will may leave within a year, I would try to tought it out. Otherwise, I would look seriously into transferring or getting another job, if possible. No pharmacy is perfect, but most pharmacies are better run than it sounds like the one you are at is being run.
 
Yeah I would love to pick up the phone and call the DM on him. But I am not self-confident enough. I worry that it will make me look bad and things will get *really* awkward between me and my manager if he doesn't leave, since obviously he'll figure out someone talked. HOWEVER I forgot to mention that the techs and even the store staff have all sent emails or telephoned the DM to complain, so I certainly wouldn't be the first one.
My company has a telephone hotline but everyone has told me that whoever calls it is eventually fired. They tell me it's a real, real bad idea to ever call that line!
I actually asked my manager outright if he was planning to leave. He said he was planning to stay for at least 4 years!
He is relatively new in the company. He started approx. 1 year ago and became manager maybe 7 months ago.
Thank you very much for your advice. I think I will start looking for another job. And if things get worse in the meantime, I'll call the DM.
 
Yeah I would love to pick up the phone and call the DM on him. But I am not self-confident enough. I worry that it will make me look bad and things will get *really* awkward between me and my manager if he doesn't leave, since obviously he'll figure out someone talked. HOWEVER I forgot to mention that the techs and even the store staff have all sent emails or telephoned the DM to complain, so I certainly wouldn't be the first one.
My company has a telephone hotline but everyone has told me that whoever calls it is eventually fired. They tell me it's a real, real bad idea to ever call that line!
I actually asked my manager outright if he was planning to leave. He said he was planning to stay for at least 4 years!
He is relatively new in the company. He started approx. 1 year ago and became manager maybe 7 months ago.
Thank you very much for your advice. I think I will start looking for another job. And if things get worse in the meantime, I'll call the DM.

Chances are, DM and PS cares about their numbers only. They know who is good and who is bad. Just do what you got to do. It is a matter of time before he leaves.
 
First paragraphs.

Second buck up.

Third if it's that big of a deal, pass it up the chain of command.

Fourth buck up.
 
Yeah I would love to pick up the phone and call the DM on him. But I am not self-confident enough. I worry that it will make me look bad and things will get *really* awkward between me and my manager if he doesn't leave, since obviously he'll figure out someone talked. HOWEVER I forgot to mention that the techs and even the store staff have all sent emails or telephoned the DM to complain, so I certainly wouldn't be the first one.
My company has a telephone hotline but everyone has told me that whoever calls it is eventually fired. They tell me it's a real, real bad idea to ever call that line!
I actually asked my manager outright if he was planning to leave. He said he was planning to stay for at least 4 years!
He is relatively new in the company. He started approx. 1 year ago and became manager maybe 7 months ago.
Thank you very much for your advice. I think I will start looking for another job. And if things get worse in the meantime, I'll call the DM.

i saw this and had to tell you asap.

DO NOT CALL THE HOTLINE.
DO NOT CALL YOUR DM AND TELL HIM/HER WHAT IS GOING ON UNTIL YOU ARE SURE THE DM AND PHARMACY MANAGER ARE NOT BUDDIES.
yes that is so important it needed caps 👍

If I were you, do all you can to transfer stores or get in the float pool. Easier said than done, but you are playing with fire now, don't forget it.
 
Suck it up, keep your mouth shut, put on a fake smile, and be happy you have a job.
If what you say about your manager is true he will eventually run himself out of the job. Then you can get his job.
 
Suck it up, keep your mouth shut, put on a fake smile, and be happy you have a job.
If what you say about your manager is true he will eventually run himself out of the job. Then you can get his job.

Don't be so sure about that. 🙄

Every place of employment, whether it's a pharmacy or anything else, has people like this. Makes things miserable for everyone, and it's why we have "Dilbert".
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't be so sure about that. 🙄

Every place of employment, whether it's a pharmacy or anything else, has people like this. Makes things miserable for everyone, and it's why we have "Dilbert".

Mmmmmm Dilbert aint real yo. Ineffective managers get turned over sooner or later. And staff too.....more so now than ever. KWIM?
 
This. Sounds shady. Something should be done.

As for "bucking up", I don't think I would just sit back insilence on this one.

Anyone with four or more functioning neurons wouldn't have to go to a internet board to ask "what should I do" if they truly had information of diversion. I can't imagine where it's not required to actually report them, at least at the federal level.

Second, paragraphs work. Adults know this, children have yet to grasp this concept.

Third, again his first post is a rant against his pharmacy manager on an anonymous board. Survey says z0mg TROOOOOLLLLZZZZzzzzzzz.
 
i saw this and had to tell you asap.

DO NOT CALL THE HOTLINE.
DO NOT CALL YOUR DM AND TELL HIM/HER WHAT IS GOING ON UNTIL YOU ARE SURE THE DM AND PHARMACY MANAGER ARE NOT BUDDIES.
yes that is so important it needed caps 👍

If I were you, do all you can to transfer stores or get in the float pool. Easier said than done, but you are playing with fire now, don't forget it.

Oh wow. Okay I definetly get the point. Thank you.
I am going to start a log of all the stuff he's doing...just in case the DM one day does call and ask my opinion.
Today one tech told me customers have told him they are transferring out because of the manager.
Someone else "RXLea" I believe said that I should report to the BOP about the controlleds. So far I have noticed only once that he gave someone Vicodin when it clearly says on the computer the patient got it..and he himself said so verbally to me so I know I am not guessing here. But I think I need to see a pattern of that occurring before I go report on him.
Someone said I'm a troll. Oh please. I've been reading the posts here for ages but I never posted because I had nothing to say, until this time.

Thank you all for your opinions 🙂. It's nice knowing I have options, however limited they are.
 
Oh wow. Okay I definetly get the point. Thank you.
I am going to start a log of all the stuff he's doing...just in case the DM one day does call and ask my opinion.
Today one tech told me customers have told him they are transferring out because of the manager.
Someone else "RXLea" I believe said that I should report to the BOP about the controlleds. So far I have noticed only once that he gave someone Vicodin when it clearly says on the computer the patient got it..and he himself said so verbally to me so I know I am not guessing here. But I think I need to see a pattern of that occurring before I go report on him.
Someone said I'm a troll. Oh please. I've been reading the posts here for ages but I never posted because I had nothing to say, until this time.

Thank you all for your opinions 🙂. It's nice knowing I have options, however limited they are.

np, i actually saw a case like this first hand.
the pharmacy manager was good buddies with the dm. A tech started complaining over the manager's laziness. The manager and dm got rid of that tech in a short amount of time, by the book too. It was easy b/c if the dm, pharmacy manager and store manager are on the same page it is easy as pie--the same can happen to any loudmouth pharmacist.
 
Anyone with four or more functioning neurons wouldn't have to go to a internet board to ask "what should I do" if they truly had information of diversion.

Depends on who they are. Yes, there are people who do this and get away with it, and even find ways to falsify records to make it look like someone else did it. No, that hasn't happened to me, and it's more common with nurses.
 
I'm gonna need you to grow some balls and confront the man. Or do everything he does right back to him. He will get the message. Nice guys finish last
 
Anyone with four or more functioning neurons wouldn't have to go to a internet board to ask "what should I do" if they truly had information of diversion. I can't imagine where it's not required to actually report them, at least at the federal level.

Second, paragraphs work. Adults know this, children have yet to grasp this concept.

Third, again his first post is a rant against his pharmacy manager on an anonymous board. Survey says z0mg TROOOOOLLLLZZZZzzzzzzz.

Some people seek the advice of more experienced practitioners. It's one of the reasons this forum exists. sometimes it's difficult to decide on a course of action depending on the situation...





Oh wow. Okay I definetly get the point. Thank you.
I am going to start a log of all the stuff he's doing...just in case the DM one day does call and ask my opinion.
Today one tech told me customers have told him they are transferring out because of the manager.
Someone else "RXLea" I believe said that I should report to the BOP about the controlleds. So far I have noticed only once that he gave someone Vicodin when it clearly says on the computer the patient got it..and he himself said so verbally to me so I know I am not guessing here. But I think I need to see a pattern of that occurring before I go report on him.
Someone said I'm a troll. Oh please. I've been reading the posts here for ages but I never posted because I had nothing to say, until this time.

Thank you all for your opinions 🙂. It's nice knowing I have options, however limited they are.

Yes. definitely have some documentation first or it will become a he said/she said situation.I'm only student so take it with grain of salt but when I worked retail, webusted floater pharmacist for diversion and insurance fraud (fake claims and stuff like that). If what he is doing is affecting patients, wouldn't just shutup about it but you need documentation first.
 
Some people seek the advice of more experienced practitioners. It's one of the reasons this forum exists. sometimes it's difficult to decide on a course of action depending on the situation...







Yes. definitely have some documentation first or it will become a he said/she said situation.I'm only student so take it with grain of salt but when I worked retail, webusted floater pharmacist for diversion and insurance fraud (fake claims and stuff like that). If what he is doing is affecting patients, wouldn't just shutup about it but you need documentation first.

At CVS, I ALWAYS take pictures of the Queue screen before I start working if the store is a mess. I know I do a damn good job and always end up leaving the store better than when I come in. My supervisor knows it too.

I also take a picture of any mistakes in the QV screen.
 
At CVS, I ALWAYS take pictures of the Queue screen before I start working if the store is a mess. I know I do a damn good job and always end up leaving the store better than when I come in. My supervisor knows it too.

I also take a picture of any mistakes in the QV screen.

👍 love the idea, just watch your behind on any hippa violations with any camera in the pharmacy--good to be good with the supervisor!
 
Hi, I'm back with an update and another question.

So basically after posting this rant, a few days later the DM shows up and inspects the pharmacy. I was working. I could tell he was mad at the manager. For the first time, the DM asked my opinion of the manager, so I went home and wrote him a long email with everything. After that things started happening fast. The big wigs came on down and everyday that I'm working practically the DM is coming in with several bosses and looking around and discussing the lousy metrics. Today finally we were told the DM is working with HR about my manager..basically he's getting fired. Everybody knows except him. I think he's getting fired so fast because my DM's bosses came down and saw how bad things are and they want fast dramatic action not just a verbal warning.

Of course I'm happy and relieved with the way things are going. My question is, what do I do if the DM asks me to be the manager?? Keep in mind this is my first job, I've been working since August. I read on other threads that only idiots accept jobs as pharmacy managers and that to become one is such a bad idea. At the same time though I am worried if I say no does that put me in a bad light ("not a team player")? I like the pharmacy staff a lot, in general I'm happy with my job. What do you think?

Thank you!
 
That's impossible and can't be true. All the retail folks said low performance doesn't get you fired in retail. You must be making up this story.....

Strange tho ......I recall saying something about your manager will get run out.....and you can get his job..... man I should buy a lotto.:meanie:
 
Hi, I'm back with an update and another question.

So basically after posting this rant, a few days later the DM shows up and inspects the pharmacy. I was working. I could tell he was mad at the manager. For the first time, the DM asked my opinion of the manager, so I went home and wrote him a long email with everything. After that things started happening fast. The big wigs came on down and everyday that I'm working practically the DM is coming in with several bosses and looking around and discussing the lousy metrics. Today finally we were told the DM is working with HR about my manager..basically he's getting fired. Everybody knows except him. I think he's getting fired so fast because my DM's bosses came down and saw how bad things are and they want fast dramatic action not just a verbal warning.

Of course I'm happy and relieved with the way things are going. My question is, what do I do if the DM asks me to be the manager?? Keep in mind this is my first job, I've been working since August. I read on other threads that only idiots accept jobs as pharmacy managers and that to become one is such a bad idea. At the same time though I am worried if I say no does that put me in a bad light ("not a team player")? I like the pharmacy staff a lot, in general I'm happy with my job. What do you think?

Thank you!

Please tell me you're not in Northen CA.
 
Someone who dispenses controls without a valid prescription will always get fired. It's a loss prevention issue.
 
Hi, I'm back with an update and another question.

So basically after posting this rant, a few days later the DM shows up and inspects the pharmacy. I was working. I could tell he was mad at the manager. For the first time, the DM asked my opinion of the manager, so I went home and wrote him a long email with everything. After that things started happening fast. The big wigs came on down and everyday that I'm working practically the DM is coming in with several bosses and looking around and discussing the lousy metrics. Today finally we were told the DM is working with HR about my manager..basically he's getting fired. Everybody knows except him. I think he's getting fired so fast because my DM's bosses came down and saw how bad things are and they want fast dramatic action not just a verbal warning.


Of course I'm happy and relieved with the way things are going. My question is, what do I do if the DM asks me to be the manager?? Keep in mind this is my first job, I've been working since August. I read on other threads that only idiots accept jobs as pharmacy managers and that to become one is such a bad idea. At the same time though I am worried if I say no does that put me in a bad light ("not a team player")? I like the pharmacy staff a lot, in general I'm happy with my job. What do you think?

Thank you!

I came from Automotive Parts Manufacturing where I was a department manager for 13 years before leaving to pursue a PharmD. Management is not for everyone, peripheral argument, you would not be a pharmacist if you did not have management potential. Don't jump in just because it is offered, especially if you don't feel like you are ready for it. Only you can accept the position, if offered.

My personal opinion, since you are at the start of your career, don't grow too fast. Get some time and experience under your belt before you add that extra level of stress.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Someone who dispenses controls without a valid prescription will always get fired. It's a loss prevention issue.

I was curious how this could occur more than a couple of months. Every place I have been the pharmacist is the only one with the keys to the controls and there is a perpetual inventory associated with the controls in addition to the log.
 
I was curious how this could occur more than a couple of months. Every place I have been the pharmacist is the only one with the keys to the controls and there is a perpetual inventory associated with the controls in addition to the log.
If they give a few away to hold the patient over, say #3, and then dispense #27 when the actual rx comes in, all the math adds up.

Or maybe they could just write in the log book "rx 555 , dispensed 30" and there really was no rx 555. Not sure how their logs are kept, but our system has the possibility for that, so I always run a drug dispensing report to ensure the total dispensed for the month actually matches what the book says.
 
I was curious how this could occur more than a couple of months. Every place I have been the pharmacist is the only one with the keys to the controls and there is a perpetual inventory associated with the controls in addition to the log.

In my state, we are only required to keep a perpetual inventory with a log on C2's, the other controls are dispensed just like the other medications, we don't keep a perpetual inventory on C3-C5's.
 
Hi, I'm back with an update and another question.

So basically after posting this rant, a few days later the DM shows up and inspects the pharmacy. I was working. I could tell he was mad at the manager. For the first time, the DM asked my opinion of the manager, so I went home and wrote him a long email with everything. After that things started happening fast. The big wigs came on down and everyday that I'm working practically the DM is coming in with several bosses and looking around and discussing the lousy metrics. Today finally we were told the DM is working with HR about my manager..basically he's getting fired. Everybody knows except him. I think he's getting fired so fast because my DM's bosses came down and saw how bad things are and they want fast dramatic action not just a verbal warning.

Of course I'm happy and relieved with the way things are going. My question is, what do I do if the DM asks me to be the manager?? Keep in mind this is my first job, I've been working since August. I read on other threads that only idiots accept jobs as pharmacy managers and that to become one is such a bad idea. At the same time though I am worried if I say no does that put me in a bad light ("not a team player")? I like the pharmacy staff a lot, in general I'm happy with my job. What do you think?

Thank you!

Wonder if your DM saw your post on here and that's why he came in few days later? Anyway, I think your PIC deserves what he's getting...

I was forced into being PIC at my store. I was asked a couple of times to be PIC and I said I'm not ready to be PIC. Later on, my DM just sent me the POA form to sign and sent a relief RPh to my store while I do the PIC swap.

The extra $ is not worth the stress that comes with being PIC. I stay late and come in on my days off to make sure things get done because I don't have a partner, just floaters and I'm short on techs, as one recently quit. If you have a good partner and good techs, it may not be that bad being PIC.
If you feel you are experienced enough and comfortable taking on the position, take it. Only good thing I can think of for being PIC is to have the experience and be able to put it on your resume when you're looking for another job in the future.
 
Last edited:
Lazy pharmacists are being weeded out of my district like crazy. The Pharm Supervisor finds a way. Actually, a few of them walk right into it via stupidity.

But times are a changing. The only good thing about this surplus dealie...it slowly is eliminating the stupid/lazy people I need to deal with.
 
At CVS, I ALWAYS take pictures of the Queue screen before I start working if the store is a mess. I know I do a damn good job and always end up leaving the store better than when I come in. My supervisor knows it too.

I also take a picture of any mistakes in the QV screen.

Yikes - pretty sure this would be a violation of company policy at many places, and probably a HIPAA violation as well. I am sure they have metrics that break it down by hour - and even minute - and they know your schedule, and the computer probably captures who verifies the Rx. It seems like taking a pic could hurt you more than help you......careful!!!