Mad Tight PAT Tutorial!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeckyll

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
first off...mad props to wicked sick pat tutorial..it inspired me to do this one after i stumbled upon it in Crack....

Ok. So you're going through the DAT pattern folding and you stumble across this:

1.jpg

Your first thought: "holy *****. wtf is that? Crap...I'm about to get a 15 on the PAT..."
It's ok! clam down!! The worst thing to do is panic..you won't be able to think right and then you'll settle for the answer you think looks right but isn't right.
If you look closer...it's really not that bad.

Ok. FIRST. orient the object and eliminate anything that is impossible or OBVIOUSLY wrong.

Let's start with C (I like starting in the middle because I always think they're trying to trick you by slowly going through A-D, when the answer is D to make you waste time going through A B and C)
2-1.jpg

wtf? The read thing has white on the pointy part, not black! WRONG!!!!
One down.....

Next: Let's look at B:
3-1.jpg

If you look at the flat part, its completely black, but the real picture has a little white notch in it! WRONG!!!!

2 down....sweet...halfway there!!

Okay, so now what???????

The trick to these shading pattern folding ones is to orient the shaded part correctly when you fold it like 10 times which is reallly intimidating. If you try to do it in your head by mentally folding the entire figure, you're gonna go crazy.

Here's the trick: look at a specific side you can see and you can determine what the OPPOSITE end will be when you fold it. If you already know what one of the contact points is gonna look like, you can find out the OTHER side and what their contact point will look like too.

For example, let's look at D:
5-1.jpg

I blew it up so you could see it better :)

Okay...so when you look at D you see the little top peice (with green & purple) that needs to be folded over to the triangular part on the bottom left of the figure. Now, you know the left part of that peice (GREEN) HAS to contact the slanted part of the side w/ 2 small black squares.
SO, that means that the other side will be ADJACENT TO ITS MATCHING FIGURE, which is the slanted part of the checkerboard-looking side. (GREEN WITH GREEN, PURPLE WITH PURPLE.)

Okay, so that part of D is correct.

Now, we can go to look at the next part:
6-1.jpg

Okay, so again the same concept: The purple part has to match with the side w/ 2 small black squares, and the purple part is the side that has the white notch on it.
SO, the other side (all black) will contact its complement, the long flat part of the checkboard side.

Okay, so now you have that, where does the white notch go????

Lets see....
7-1.jpg

If you look at D, you see the white notch is at the END CORNER of the figure. BUT, if you look at the origional, you see that the white notch happens on the BENT peice, which is in the MIDDLE of the figure. D IS WRONG!!!!!!

Now we eliminated everything, it's always good to check A to make sure that its right:
8-1.jpg

So, does the white notch come at the BENT part in the MIDDLE? YEP
Does the black right side square (in teal) meet with the white triangular part of the checkboard side? YEP

check check. you are on your way to a 30.

You can also apply this to anything that has a shape which changes when you fold stuff. (i.e. arrows, lines, dots, etc etc) maybe i'll a hard one of those later....got my dat on thursday though!

Hope it helped!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sweet!!! That's exactly what I do..!!! There's always like on option which does not even have the right shading!! Hope its the same on the actual test too.. I take mine on the 13th!!

Members don't see this ad :)
That one was not bad at all... took me about a min (without going thru your tutorial). More?

Sweet job. Good luck thursday...remember, own it.

Thanks a lot!! Still trying to do better in Bio though...:(
Any advice on how to own Bio, beside Destroyer, Kaplan tests and Schaum's? Doing all of that... Still have to complete Schaum's though...

These ones are the easiest.

I've heard the DAT pattern folding questions are nothing like these also. Much more complicated.