Made decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imtiredofthisgrandpa

Reaction score
Yesterday I was offered an acceptance to TCOM as part of their "Deferred Admissions Program" meaning I have been accepted to start in August 2024. In order to accept, I have to withdraw my current TMDSAS application which I have already received 2 MD interviews from. I have to make a decision by Monday to accept or deny admission to TCOM - would appreciate any insight or advice anyone has on this difficult decision making process.
I have 509 MCAT, 1000+ clinical hours, 3.91 masters gpa & 3.66 graduate gpa

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
TCOM is by far the best Osteopathic Medical School. Unless you're looking to do something extraordinarily competitive, I would take it and run. Congrats and party hard!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is this related to a post bac or ED?

Your application looks attractive since your GPA or MCAT are within the ballpark for Texas schools and you are an URM which means they are all courting you. There are only so many URMs who meet averages and so if you are admitted, it could also mean some scholarships.

People are barely getting their apps looked at while you have 2 interviews and an admission. Unless TCOM also offers some free cash it is too early for you to take it.

Reactions: 3 users
Is this related to a post bac or ED?

Your application looks attractive since your GPA or MCAT are within the ballpark for Texas schools and you are an URM which means they are all courting you. There are only so many URMs who meet averages and so if you are admitted, it could also mean some scholarships.

People are barely getting their apps looked at while you have 2 interviews and an admission. Unless TCOM also offers some free cash it is too early for you to take it.
I'm thinking OP might have been on the WL at TCOM from the 2022-2023 application year. Or maybe was a great SMP student.
TCOM made some similar offers last year (though not quite this late :))

P.S. I forgot to say, Congratulations, @littlelonghorn777 !

Last edited:
I'm thinking OP might have been on the WL at TCOM from the 2022-2023 application year. Or maybe was a great SMP student.
TCOM made some similar offers last year (though not quite this late :))

P.S. I forgot to say, Congratulations, @littlelonghorn777 !
OP says 2024 start year so wondering what was the process used to select this early. Can they actually offer waitlists from previous year early spots?

and yes big congratulations are in order for @littlelonghorn777

You will more than likely be accepted in the current cycle to multiple MD schools with your stats as a URM. It is only July and you already received 2 interviews. You will do better than TCOM in my humble opinion.

Reactions: 3 users
To be honest, there is nothing wrong with TCOM if they gave money with the admission. Unfortunately, people only start offering money in October with regular admissions and so locking down now is an expensive proposition.

I was on the 2023 entry year waitlist. They emailed me Wednesday that they filled the current class, but want to offer me admission for entry year 2024. I did receive my master's from UNTHSC, but I was offered no $$ as part of the deferred admissions program

I was on the 2023 entry year waitlist. They emailed me Wednesday that they filled the current class, but want to offer me admission for entry year 2024. I did receive my master's from UNTHSC, but I was offered no $$ as part of the deferred admissions program
Did you have other interviews last year?

Tech and TCOM, waitlisted at both, added the 1000 clinical hours to my app, and applied late last cycle. this year i applied 5/15 8 am and submitted secondaries the day they were received
What is your deadline on TCOM?

What is your deadline on TCOM?
Monday.... I have no idea what to do. I am going to stall as much as possible bc TCOM requires a $1000 deposit for me to hold my spot
I have a scheduled call with the dean on Monday and then they extend the "official offer"

Members don't see this ad :)
Monday.... I have no idea what to do. I am going to stall as much as possible bc TCOM requires a $1000 deposit for me to hold my spot
I have a scheduled call with the dean on Monday and then they extend the "official offer"
Ask about scholarships.

I noticed you received McGovern and Texas Tech (you got this last year too). McGovern is a school thats not normally an easy to get interview which means you probably have improved your chances quite a bit this cycle.

Last edited:
If you decline the deferred admissions, are you still eligible for interview/acceptance for the cycle this year at TCOM?

Per the email they sent me, they will withdraw my application
That makes sense, actually. If you want to go there next year you’re already in without having to re-interview.
Of course with the timing of the offer, you didn’t know that when you submitted your reapplication.
If you turn the offer down it’s because you want to try for other schools.

Best of luck with your decision & talk it through with those close to you.

Per the email they sent me, they will withdraw my application
I see. TCOM is a great school, you've already done their masters, so pre-clinical years and making connections should be easier for you as well. The main thing is that you will have a stress-free year ahead to pursue anything you wish. Med school admissions are truly unpredictable, so if you do decline the offer, then there is a very real possibility you end up at a lower-ranked/less ideal school than TCOM in the end.

Did you apply all TMDSAS schools this year? How about AMCAS/AACOMAS schools?

I see. TCOM is a great school, you've already done their masters, so pre-clinical years and making connections should be easier for you as well. The main thing is that you will have a stress-free year ahead to pursue anything you wish. Med school admissions are truly unpredictable, so if you do decline the offer, then there is a very real possibility you end up at a lower-ranked/less ideal school than TCOM in the end.

Did you apply all TMDSAS schools this year? How about AMCAS/AACOMAS schools?

I applied to Mcgovern, UTMB, Tech, TCOM, A&M, UTSA Long, UTSW, and Baylor

Are they withdrawing your app in both cases - you accept they withdraw and you turn down they withdraw?

They said if I accept then I am required to withdraw my app from all other schools. If i do not accept they will "assume I am no longer interested in TCOM and withdraw my app accordingly"

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I am by no means suggesting OP is dishonest in their dealings. However, let’s say they accept the TCOM offer but do NOT withdraw their other apps. Will this bite them in the butt later? Can TCOM see their current year TMDSAS interview invite/acceptance status?

I'm not usually a gambling man, but in this case I'd bet on yourself given your application and promising early cycle and wait things out.

I am by no means suggesting OP is dishonest in their dealings. However, let’s say they accept the TCOM offer but do NOT withdraw their other apps. Will this bite them in the butt later? Can TCOM see their current year TMDSAS interview invite/acceptance status?
They can definitely see whether an applicant still has an active application for 2023-2024.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied to Mcgovern, UTMB, Tech, TCOM, A&M, UTSA Long, UTSW, and Baylor
Gotcha. All top schools and "better" than TCOM based on rankings. Having IIs at McGovern and Tech bodes really well but at the same time being a 3x applicant if they don't work out is not something I would want. 50/50, just try to buy as much time as possible and trust yourself! Curious as you to why you didn't apply to Dell, UTRGV, UHCOM, SHSU, UT-Tyler and Tech-El Paso?

I know this may not be possible, but if you go ahead and give them the $1,000 could it possibly be refunded if you get accepted and decide to enroll in an MD school later? I’m not from TX and don’t know how TMDSAS works, but if that’s not an option, just take a chance and interview at the other schools. With those stats, you will most likely get in with good interview skills. And even scholarship money.

I know this may not be possible, but if you go ahead and give them the $1,000 could it possibly be refunded if you get accepted and decide to enroll in an MD school later? I’m not from TX and don’t know how TMDSAS works, but if that’s not an option, just take a chance and interview at the other schools. With those stats, you will most likely get in with good interview skills. And even scholarship money.
I believe the requirement is withdraw their TMDSAS application if offer is accepted and the school will withdraw their current app for their own school (or no longer consider them) if it is not accepted.

Nope not possible, at any school TMDSAS or AMCAS, when accepting a deferred admission you also avow you will not be applying to other schools during your deferral year.
How could a child's show character suggest such a sneaky thing, @The REAL Doc McStuffins ???

I have a call scheduled with TCOM tomorrow.. going to ask about scholarship and try to postpone the $1000 deposit as long as I can and see if any more interviews come in
This is so tough

• Care