Madigan Peds

Started by dtn3t
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dtn3t

Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all-
I'll be doing a month in July. Half in-patient, half clinic. Any tips/suggestions/hints/opinions? If I've learned one thing from SDN, especially in this forum, it's everyone has an opinion. I'm hoping to like it as much as I'm expecting to, if not more.

Thanks for any help.
 
dtn3t said:
Hi all-
I'll be doing a month in July. Half in-patient, half clinic. Any tips/suggestions/hints/opinions? If I've learned one thing from SDN, especially in this forum, it's everyone has an opinion. I'm hoping to like it as much as I'm expecting to, if not more.

Thanks for any help.

Are you familiar with the Tacoma area? Don't know anything about the clinical stuff, but I live maybe 20 miles from Madigan...
 
Man you're fast. No idea at all. Any help with that would be great too. My friends and i are going to be out there and were wondering places to go, places to see, hiking trails, anything!
Thanks again for any help.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
dtn3t said:
Man you're fast. No idea at all. Any help with that would be great too. My friends and i are going to be out there and were wondering places to go, places to see, hiking trails, anything!
Thanks again for any help.

I really enjoyed a bit of hiking I did on Mt. Rainier. July is one of the best months for it, too, in my opinion. Dinner cruises from Seattle are a nice way for you and your SO (if you have her along) to see the Puget sound area. Canada is driving distance. There are several good restaurants, particularly Asian food, in the Lakewood area (which is very close to Madigan).

Remember even July can be light jacket weather in Western Washington state. It's not usually beautiful during the Summer, but can rarely be cool and rainy like the rest of the year.

I'm trying to volunteer at Madigan if the Red Cross calls me back, so maybe I'll bump into you 🙂
 
June-August are prime times to be out there. Summers are warm (but not hot) and sunny days with cool nights. Usually pretty dry; the famous Seattle rain takes a break during summer.

MAMC is great hospital. Nice facility, strong staff and residents. MAMC peds ward is not real heavy duty. NICU can be a bit painful but that's true of any NICU, I guess, and if you're a student the NICU nurses won't let you get within a hundred feet of a baby anyway. General peds clinic (for interns and residents anyway, not sure about med students) is a high-volume churn-em-out operation just like pediatrics everywhere. Lots and lots and lots and lots of ear infections and diarrhea.

Tacoma is an up-and-coming city that may some day get the chip off its shoulder that it has about not being Seattle. It's actually a nice place that has gotten nicer every year (and unfortunately more expensive . . .). Point Defiance Park is quite pleasant. Lots of outdoor activities in western WA; as one of the other posters noted, Mt Ranier is a must . . . BUT please don't decide to go hiking on the glaciers alone and unprepared. Every year some doofus does that and ends up dead: it's beautiful but potentially deadly terrain if you don't respect it. Lots of other great peaks and trails in the Cascades (Mt St Helen's is also pretty amazing to go see.) Of course, on the west side you have the ocean and coast. If you can get over to the olympic peninsula and rain forest that's worth a trip. And of course there's all the stuff in Seattle. Have a great time!