Madness in Mass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IN2B8R

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here we go, straight from Sermo--brace for impact across the nation, it is all going to ****, a lot sooner than we think:mad:

Lately I have been watching with complete horror the events playing out in my home state of Massachusetts. A bill currently under review by the state legislature will make participation in the state and federal Medicare/Medicaid programs a condition of medical licensure, effectively making physicians employees of the state.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/186/st02pdf/st02170.pdf

This is particularly alarming because Massachusetts is essentially a leading indicator of what will happen in the rest of the country. Several years ago the state passed a series of laws mandating health coverage. Like the recently passed national health reform bill, the Massachusetts law did not address any of the well known causes of runaway costs, including tort reform, drug costs, or insurance regulation. Although the state now has one of the highest percentages of its population insured, it is grappling with exploding healthcare costs. In response, it is imposing capitation schedules, reductions in payment rates and now mandatory participation in the health programs by physicians. What most people don't understand is that the private insurers are also free to lower their physician payments, based on the Medicare/Medicaid benchmarks. This is all the more concerning given the fact that the Federal reimbursement rate is now scheduled to be reduced 21% on April 15. We will no doubt see the same sequence of events play out across the country as the current versions of healthcare reform are implemented.

The net effect of these laws is that it will make it close to impossible for physicians to stay in private practice. Patient access to physicians will suffer as more and more physicians retire and/or move to different states. For our academic colleagues who think this turn of events can only "help" them because they won't have to compete with physicians in private practice, just wait. 28 states are now imposing "comparability" laws that allow nurse practitioners and other allied healthcare professionals to work without the supervision of a physicians with equal pay. Few academic departments can avoid hiring "physician extenders" if they want to stay competitive. As this gains momentum, physician payments will be pushed downwards. As the "going rate" goes lower, academic salaries will also get pushed downwards.

I knew this reform effort would be bad for the practice of medicine and even worse for patient care. I just had no idea things would deteriorate this fast.

Daniel Palestrant, MD

Members don't see this ad.

yup. Thats not a surprise to me at all. Thats why i am making contingency plans.

On the other hand, its time for docs to open up those centers of excellence in the bahamas. Ya know medical toursim. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
If this happens we file suite against the state of Mass. If it happens on a federal level then we file suite against the federal government.

yup. Thats not a surprise to me at all. Thats why i am making contingency plans.

On the other hand, its time for docs to open up those centers of excellence in the bahamas. Ya know medical toursim. :D

My father in law is doing exactly that. He is a vascular surgeon who saw this coming and is now building a hospital in Turks and Caicos- with government backup.

For all those to be grads and CA2's: I would join a fee for service group, work hard, make some $$$, get rid of medical school debt, put money in retirement.... while you still can. Don't get caught with your pants down.

If you are joining a group that has a 3 year buy in, you just don't know if your neck will be above the water when obama care hits the fan.

My 2cents.

My father in law is doing exactly that. He is a vascular surgeon who saw this coming and is now building a hospital in Turks and Caicos- with government backup.

For all those to be grads and CA2's: I would join a fee for service group, work hard, make some $$$, get rid of medical school debt, put money in retirement.... while you still can. Don't get caught with your pants down.

If you are joining a group that has a 3 year buy in, you just don't know if your neck will be above the water when obama care hits the fan.

My 2cents.

Any advice for M4s going into anesthesia that won't be able to get into practice for at least 4 years? It sounds like fee for service is going to go away here in the near future and many of us won't even get a chance to make $$$ and not get caught with our pants down. I am thinking most of us graduating med school are going to get caught with our pants down given our debt load at 6.8% interest and decreasing reimbursement.

I am sorry if I sounded pessimistic in my last post.
4 years is a long time, but here are a couple of suggestions:

*Make sure you choose anesthesia for the right reasons.
*Don't buy a house and limit the number of 6.8% loans you take out.
*Once you start, dive in it and don't let the future side-rail you from the reason you are there.
*Learning anesthesia is a lot of fun. Enjoy it.
*Focus on learning the skills that will enable you to become good at what you do.

If you or someone else is not sure about anesthesia, consider dentistry (as someone mentioned earlier this week).
My dentist works 8-4 with every other Friday off. No call or weekends, good coin, 8wks off. Some local anesthesia + conscious sedation/nitrous + dental surgery.
Actually sounds kinda fun minus all the office stuff.

You never know. Maybe it won't be as bad as it seems. :rolleyes:

A bill currently under review by the state legislature will make participation in the state and federal Medicare/Medicaid programs a condition of medical licensure, effectively making physicians employees of the state.
:eek:

You cannot raise a family with medicare payments.

Where can I send him my CV?

:eek:

You cannot raise a family with medicare payments.

Where can I send him my CV?

You cannot buy toilet paper with medicare payments in the state of massachussets.

It's horrible especially since Massachusetts has the Best schools/hospitals in the country. Very sad state of affairs.

I am sorry if I sounded pessimistic in my last post.
4 years is a long time, but here are a couple of suggestions:

*Make sure you choose anesthesia for the right reasons.
*Don’t buy a house and limit the number of 6.8% loans you take out.
*Once you start, dive in it and don’t let the future side-rail you from the reason you are there.
*Learning anesthesia is a lot of fun. Enjoy it.
*Focus on learning the skills that will enable you to become good at what you do.

If you or someone else is not sure about anesthesia, consider dentistry (as someone mentioned earlier this week).
My dentist works 8-4 with every other Friday off. No call or weekends, good coin, 8wks off. Some local anesthesia + conscious sedation/nitrous + dental surgery.
Actually sounds kinda fun minus all the office stuff.

You never know. Maybe it won’t be as bad as it seems. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your advice Sevo but I can't do anything about the 6.8% loans because that is the federal rate. You older residents and attendings are so lucky because your loan rates are drastically lower than the current med students.

I cannot believe that the Massachusettes Medical Society has not filed a lawsuit yet. If this kind of thing starts happening nationwide, lawsuits will be filed and patients won't be able to get any medical care from private providers. I can't believe the people and physicians in Mass. would stand for this. It is outrageous to force people to participate in medicare/medicaid for state licensure. This whole liberal, Obamacare plan is unconstitutional. All I have to say is that if I was a patient or physician in Mass. I would be looking to move to the midwest or the south.