Maine away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acadia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an exiled Mainer looking for a way to do an away rotation somewhere in the state, preferably near home. Does anyone know about *any* rotations they are conducted in Maine, open to visiting students? I would prefer a 4-week family or rural, but am open to *anything*. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an exiled Mainer looking for a way to do an away rotation somewhere in the state, preferably near home. Does anyone know about *any* rotations they are conducted in Maine, open to visiting students? I would prefer a 4-week family or rural, but am open to *anything*. Thanks!

As an Emergency Medicine resident, I know that (at least at one point), UVM and Dartmouth med students rotated in the emergency dept. Definitely look into that.

Careful with the cross posting;)

Lots of Maine should be open. Maine Med (Portland), Central Maine (Lewiston), Eastern Maine (Lewiston) all have teaching programs (the first in multiple residencies, the latter two in FM) and take guest residents. There are lots of opportunities to do rural/FM rotations in community docs' practices through the Maine AHEC. A first point of contact might be UNECOM as they work a lot with the AHEC and may be able to lead you in the right direction.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry abt the crossposts - major n00b mistake I guess. Better to just pick one thread and stick with it?

Thanks so much for the info guys! I'll give all those places a call. Esp about the AHEC - I'd never even heard of that.

Sad - I think it says something that someone could grow up in the state knowing they wanted to study medicine, and never know these orgs and options were out there. Glad to hear it's getting better, and all these schools are establishing options.

Check out the Maine Medical website--they should have pretty much everything you're interested in.

I was just there for an away--overall a great rotation.

In fact, I was in Acadia last weekend . . .