Maine Medical Center vs Kentucky

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Instant Breakfast

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is maine medical center or Kentucky better? For anyone who interviewed at either of these places, do you mind sharing your impressions?

Members don't see this ad.

Is maine medical center or Kentucky better? For anyone who interviewed at either of these places, do you mind sharing your impressions?

Interviewed at maine. I really liked it. If youre looking for small program small town its probably among the best in the country. Strong training, strong faculty, and strong fellowship placement (mostly to boston programs). I LOVED portland too. Beautiful small town, fantastic food, nice people. However, I eventually decided I wanted a medium to large program, and I worried about my wife gaining employment in such a tiny town.

I interviewed at both last year. Ended up ranking UK #2 and MMC lower. Part of that was due to the fact that supporting my family of four on a resident salary would have been challenging in Portland, and they did not allow in-house moonlighting or paid overtime. I'm also not a big fan of that level of winter. I just liked the UK program better too. Randy Schell, their PD, is a legitimate resident advocate and 110% about resident education. Don't think you'd go wrong with either place though.